Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing of Sharepoint Data

Hi,

I have an excel file loaded in from Sharepoint into my Power BI desktop, but it requires manual refreshing currently. I have a SQL server loaded in too and when i press 'refresh' at the top of the page it doesn't seem to refresh the fields I have created using the Sharepoint data. When I select 'incremental refresh' it says I need to set up parameters. Not sure what I need to put into the parameters, but for reference here are my Data Sources:

DTaylor888_0-1631614211956.png

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

In the new Sharepoint query, it has 4 steps to navigate to the correct sheet in the Excel file (the first 4 steps). In the old query, there are 2 steps to navigate to the sheet (the first two steps). So what you need to do is to copy the first 4 steps in the new Sharepoint query and insert these 4 steps into the old query before the 3rd step #"Removed Blank Rows" to replace original two steps. Don't forget to add a comma token at the end of the 4th step. As 4th step has the same name "Financial_Sheet" as the old query's 2nd step, you don't need to modify the referencing step in next step. Save the changes in Advanced Editor and the source will be replaced.

Duplicate the old query in advance in case of losing any data. 

Regards,

Jing

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Have you tried the SharePoint folder connector? Does it solve this problem?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jingzhang, I am not too sure how to change the source in query editor such that I have applied steps from using the web connector and would ideally like to not start again with my web connected queries. After selecting new source and directing to the correct excel file in sharepoint, I have this as my advanced editor:

DTaylor888_0-1632305704431.png

And this is the advanced editor (steps) for one of the queries which I would like to change to the Sharepoint sourcing, thats currently web connected:

DTaylor888_1-1632305949571.png

How would I change the top sourcing format so that it includes the sharepoint connector? Thanks

Hi @Anonymous 

In the new Sharepoint query, it has 4 steps to navigate to the correct sheet in the Excel file (the first 4 steps). In the old query, there are 2 steps to navigate to the sheet (the first two steps). So what you need to do is to copy the first 4 steps in the new Sharepoint query and insert these 4 steps into the old query before the 3rd step #"Removed Blank Rows" to replace original two steps. Don't forget to add a comma token at the end of the 4th step. As 4th step has the same name "Financial_Sheet" as the old query's 2nd step, you don't need to modify the referencing step in next step. Save the changes in Advanced Editor and the source will be replaced.

Duplicate the old query in advance in case of losing any data. 

Regards,

Jing

Keep your old query as is. Create a new query with the SharePoint connector. Make sure its output is exactly the same as the old query. Then swap the query names.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What made you choose a web connector over a Sharepoint Folder connector?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Followed a tutorial on youtube, I copied the excel path and pasted into the web connector (I only need one file). Maybe I could change the source step in query editor and my data editing steps will still apply?

I would recommend you use the SharePoint folder connector instead. Might be more work upfront but gives you more flexibility overall.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay shall try that, thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors