Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GerryFlanagan
Employee
Employee

Refreshing data sourced from a different tenants on prem SQL servers

Hi,

Looking for advice on how best to adopt P.BI in the following scenario. I have a P.BI pro account with @companyA and with @companyB. Each account is under a different tenant. If I create a pbix file using companyA's on prem data source's can I publish that pbix file to my companyB account? And if I can, is it possible to enable the data to refresh from the other tenants on prem data sources?

Regards,

Gerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @GerryFlanagan,

This article ( How should I share Power BI dashboards and reports? ) introduces available ways to share dashboard in Power BI currently. You can see only "Share a dashboard" and "Publish to web" provide a way to share with user outside of the organization. Except these way, there is no method to achieve your requirement now.

Besides, I found a similar idea item: Publish content pack outside your organization. You can vote and comment on it.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GerryFlanagan,

In your scenario, you can pin the report visual to a dashboard then share this dashboard with the user out side of your organization. You can set the schedule refresh for the dataset, the recipients can see updated data in the dashboard. See: Share a dashboard and reports with colleagues and others.

Also you can use publish to web feature to share report with the user out side of your organization. You can set schedule refresh for the dataset, it can take approximately 1 hour for refreshed data to be visible in your embedded report or visual. Please note When you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. If the report contains sensitive data, I wouldn't suggest you use this feature. For more information, please refer to this article: Publish to web from Power BI

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I was hoping that there was another way, other than embedding in a Website/sharpoint. Like you say, without security control no sensitive data can be used. Is there any way in which crednetials  from a different tenant can be added as a user on a data connection in an enterprise gateway?

Regards,

Gerry

Hi @GerryFlanagan,

This article ( How should I share Power BI dashboards and reports? ) introduces available ways to share dashboard in Power BI currently. You can see only "Share a dashboard" and "Publish to web" provide a way to share with user outside of the organization. Except these way, there is no method to achieve your requirement now.

Besides, I found a similar idea item: Publish content pack outside your organization. You can vote and comment on it.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors