Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ltkort
Frequent Visitor

Refreshing data never goes right, help?!

Hi,

I have a data source (ODBC) running on one computer. It's always on and has a wired internet connection. It's connected to a database from our website. The serverconnection can only be accessed by whitelisted IP's.

I want that data source refreshed a couple times a day and I want to view the updated data on my phone / other computer.

I made a personal gateway, I connected it and scheduld refreshes. This part went okay. But for some reason it never refreshes, not even why I 'force' refresh. Sometimes the gateway program on the 'always-on' computer magicly quits. And the connection is lost.

What is the right way to set this up? That it refreshes once in three hours? Why shouldn't I use the on-premise gateway?

When I tried the on-premise gateway I was required to enter a connection string (which I don't know). I could not find any relevant answers.

If someone could help me achieve this please.

Thanks in advance,

LTKort

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ltkort,

Firstly, after you use personal gateway to configure schedule refresh for your ODBC data source, do you check if there are any other errors in Refresh history? According to the above error message you mentioned, it can be caused by that there are incorrect date values in data source. In your scenario, you will need to correct these illegal data values to make schedule refresh work properly. There is a similar thread for your reference.

Secondly, in Power BI Service, you can specify different time to refresh the dataset and it can only be 8 times during a day. How long will the dataset refresh once? It depends on your schedule time.

Thirdly, you can use on-premises gateway to schedule refresh for ODBC data source, we should put connection string using dsn which reflects “Driver={ yourdriver};Server=myServerAddress;Database=myDataBase;Uid=myUsername;Pwd=myPassword;”.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft Okay, I figured it out. I now have a on premise data gateway, I added the datasources and they are connected.. But when I am in Schedule refresh I cannot click on manage gateways... I do not know whats wrong

Hi @ltkort,

When we add data source under gateway, we should input connection string like"dsn=sourcename". For more details, you can review the following screenshots.

1. Check your odbc source name(testodbc1 in my scenario) in Power BI Desktop.
1.PNG

2. Add data source under gateway by entering connection string , account and password .
2.PNG

3. Schedule refresh for dataset in Service.
3.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft Thank you it works! 

I still have one problem.. I get the following error:

Data source errorNot a legal OleAut date.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface.
Cluster URIWABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity IDdf5e0578-48fd-480c-bba9-f1c084426223
Request ID25f1cd98-a41d-ce77-4e2b-a152dbbddd9b
Time2016-09-22 09:42:18Z

Is there a way to check which date field this is? I have over 45 collums with date's. And the solution you send me earlier does not work for me. I have a Date/Time stamp, if i convert this to whole number and change it back it does not change the time (it stays on 00:00:00). I tried it and it takes a long time (over 2.000.000 records). 

Is there a way to check where exactly it goes wrong? Is there a log or something where this is stated? Or can I run a script that tracks this?

Okay, so if i use the driver: MySQL ODBC 5.3 Unicode Driver, my database / username is Lars_V4 and password is PASSWORD, and my server adres is 123.henk.123.nl

What should my connection string be? 

ltkort
Frequent Visitor

I now get this error in my mail:

An error occurred while processing the data in the dataset.

The following exception occurred while the managed IDataReader interface was being used: Not a legal OleAut date.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors