Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chris_23
Helper II
Helper II

Refreshing Excel Pivot Table from Power BI Dataset

Hello guys,

I have exported myself a pivot table in Excel from Power BI service --> "Analyze in Excel" function in the Power BI Service, open the .odc file in excel and create the pivot table. .
In the properties this is set to Refresh on open.
This all fits as long as someone with a Power BI Pro license opens the file.

But if another user, who does not have a Power BI Service account, opens the file, an error message appears: Initialization with the data source failed......
That is why I have set my user in the authentication settings. However without success:

question.PNG

Shouldn't an update also be possible by a user who does not have a Power BI Pro license?

Kind regards
Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Chris_23 ,

As far as I know, this option uses Secure Storage Service, and then enter the appropriate identification string in the SSS ID text box. A site administrator can configure a SharePoint site to use a Secure Storage Service database where a user name and password can be stored. 

Please refer: Connection properties in excel

In addition, to use Analyze in excel from power bi service, it requires that the dataset be in Power BI Premium or that the user have a Power BI Pro license. When you open the excel, it authenticates the connection from Excel to Power BI.

Please refer: Analyze in Excel 

In summary, if a user wants to refresh the analyzed excel file, he should have access to this datasets and have a Power bi Pro license or the dataset is in Power bi Premium.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Chris_23 ,

As far as I know, this option uses Secure Storage Service, and then enter the appropriate identification string in the SSS ID text box. A site administrator can configure a SharePoint site to use a Secure Storage Service database where a user name and password can be stored. 

Please refer: Connection properties in excel

In addition, to use Analyze in excel from power bi service, it requires that the dataset be in Power BI Premium or that the user have a Power BI Pro license. When you open the excel, it authenticates the connection from Excel to Power BI.

Please refer: Analyze in Excel 

In summary, if a user wants to refresh the analyzed excel file, he should have access to this datasets and have a Power bi Pro license or the dataset is in Power bi Premium.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors