Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gjakova
Post Patron
Post Patron

Refreshable token API + Credential Errors when trying to refresh in PBI Service

Hi there, I'm facing the following issue. The following script refreshes my dashboard in PBI Desktop (and even in PBI Service), but it gives me a credential error and says that it can't retrieve the latest data:

It says: "Failed to update data source credentials: The credentials provided for the Web source are invalid."

It doesn't matter which privacy level I select, it keeps telling me that it is invalid. I spent quite some hours to fix this and search for a solution but I keep hitting a wall.

I don't have an account or something else, just an API key which is enough to retrieve the data. This is my script (anonymous of course):

let
  // retrieving the token:
  url = "https://company.firmname.com/auth/login/firmnamepowerbi/apiKey?apiKey=7890abcd",
  body = "{ ""client_id"": ""****"",  ""client_secret"": ""****"", ""grant_type"": ""****"", ""audience"":""****""}",
  tokenSubStep = Json.Document(Web.Contents(url,[Headers = [#"Content-Type"="application/json"], Content = Text.ToBinary(body) ] )),
  tokenResponse = tokenSubStep [token],
  // add token in the URL:
  Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://company.firmname.com/list/projects", [Headers=[Authorization="Bearer "&tokenResponse]])),
  items = Source[items],
  #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(items, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)
in
  #"Converted to Table"

I don't know if the body part is needed, but I found above template online, and even when I just filled it likes this (****) it worked in PBI desktop. Tried removing that line, but then it did not work.

Just for clarity, the only thing that I have/need it he API key: 7890abcd. When I enter the url (2nd line) in Postman, it also gives me results, but it is just the credential part that gives me issues. Normally with API's I also get an account and password etc, but now I just have an API key so I don't know how to adjust my script.

I hope someone can help me out! Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"I don't know if the body part is needed, but I found above template online, and even when I just filled it likes this (****) it worked in PBI desktop. Tried removing that line, but then it did not work."

That part is needed to convert the web call from GET to POST even if you don't have a meaningful payload.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"I don't know if the body part is needed, but I found above template online, and even when I just filled it likes this (****) it worked in PBI desktop. Tried removing that line, but then it did not work."

That part is needed to convert the web call from GET to POST even if you don't have a meaningful payload.

So you can insert whatever you want and it will still work?

in this particular case, yes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors