Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zumsl
Frequent Visitor

Refresh the ODBC data only on request.

I'm working on a Power BI Report. I'm making changes on Power Query.

The data source is with an ODBC connection. I don't have access to the database from home.
My problem is that Power BI refreshes systematically the source and try to connect to the database after each Power Query changes.

"ODBC:ERROR[HY000][MySQL][ODBC 8.0(w) Driver]Client with IP adress... is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server."

Would it be possible to update the source only on request?
Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zumsl ,

Currently in power bi, each time you refresh the data source, power bi will check your credentials connection whether you have access to visit the data source at first.

Update the source only on request based on power bi desktop is not supported for safety.

In addition, based on the error message and you have no access to the data source from home, you can check the firewall first and try to grant permission in mysql like:

GRANT ALL ON *.* to root@'x.x.x.x' IDENTIFIED BY 'your-root-password';

You can refer this article for more details: MySQL – Connection Error – [MySQL][ODBC 5.3(w) Driver]Host ‘IP’ is Not Allowed to Connect to this My... 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zumsl ,

Currently in power bi, each time you refresh the data source, power bi will check your credentials connection whether you have access to visit the data source at first.

Update the source only on request based on power bi desktop is not supported for safety.

In addition, based on the error message and you have no access to the data source from home, you can check the firewall first and try to grant permission in mysql like:

GRANT ALL ON *.* to root@'x.x.x.x' IDENTIFIED BY 'your-root-password';

You can refer this article for more details: MySQL – Connection Error – [MySQL][ODBC 5.3(w) Driver]Host ‘IP’ is Not Allowed to Connect to this My... 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I'll check it with the IT Department.

Best Regards

Zumsl

zumsl
Frequent Visitor

Thanks a lot for your quick answer but I don't understand what to do. Is it a setting on power BI ?

I just would like to work on powerquery without datasource connection.

Best Regards

not a power bi setting, its a power automate flow, its part of the power plataform of microsoft, inside power bi service on the workspace also you can manually refresh the data, if you want to refresh it without entering to the service the other options are the one I pass on that link, basically you select a trigger, a email, botton on power apps etc and then select witch dataset will be refreshed. the link give a step by step guide on ocnfigurating this. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

yes its totalle possible, for this you can use a power automate flow that come with a refresh dataset option, you can use any trigger you like from it a email with a specific topic, a power apps botton with the flow on it as trigger etc

here read this article about it: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/refresh-your-power-bi-dataset-using-microsoft-flow/ 

if this solved your question please mark it as solution for others to find it, and if you liked give some kudos 🙂 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors