Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kouliscon
Helper I
Helper I

Refresh data

Hello all,

i am using Power BI online government license

https://app.powerbigov.us/

and i have exported a SharePoint list from my SharePoint 2013 online O365 to an excel which when i refresh it manually it refreshed.

i then created a dataset to my governement Power BI online and the data was import but when i try to refrsh the data is not refreshing.

do i need anything else?

thank you

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kouliscon,

From your description, you export the SharePoint online list to an Excel file, then you get data from Excel in Power BI service, right? 

If it's local Excel, you need to install on-premise data gateway or on-premise data gateway (personal mode) to build a bridge between Power BI and Excel file. If it's Excel in Sharepoint online, it doesn't require any gateway. 

As the data stored in SharePoint online list, you can get data from list use SharePoint Online List data source directly in Power BI desktop, then publish the report to your Power BI service. Then go to dataset settings, enter credential for the data source, you can set schedule refresh or manually refresh. 

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-qiuyu-msft and thank you for your reply.

Thank you for the valuable information, i did the following:

1) downloaded the on-premise gateway to my laptop which is part in the domain and when i went to my Power BI Online at the manage gateways i get the below error message.

Capture.PNG

2) i went to a computer which is NOT in the domain and did the same thing, i loggen in to the Power BI Service and then i downloaded the DATA GATEWAY, i installed it and followed instructions and then while is open and running i went to MANAGE GATEWAYS and i get the same error.

any idea/ proposal pls?

thank you

Hi @kouliscon,

Please note Manage Gateways is used for manage on-premise data gateway rather than on-premise data gateway (personal mode). 

Please go to the machine which you said already install the on-premise data gateway, find and run the on-premise data gateway. Click Sign button, enter the Power BI service account which you want to use this gateway. If you don't create any gateway before, you need to configure firstly. 

w5.PNGw6.PNGw7.PNG

large (1).pnglarge.png

Then you go to Manage Gateways where you use the same Power BI service account sign in Power BI service, then you can create a File data source points to local Excel file. One thing needs to note is that it requires the machine where host on-premise data gateway can access this Excel file. Generally the on-premise data gateway can be installed on the same machine where local Excel exists. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-qiuyu-msft

again thank you for your reply.

unfortunately that didnt work. As i mention my license is a governemnt power BI online service so maybe that has something to do with it.

any other way to test it? my My gateway is on and i am logged on with the same o365 account which i log in to the power BI online service.

thank you in advance.

Hi @kouliscon,

Till now, we can't do much more on forum side. I would suggest you create a support ticket to get dedicated support. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors