Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh data from import query by keeping old data and add new date of refresh

Hello,

I have a question.

I want to import the results of a query (from SQL Server) every month. However, I want to keep the old results and add the data of the query that is going to be executed.

When importing, I want to add the extraction date in a column. Because I will need this value to make comparisons.

Is this possible with Power BI?

Thank you,

Nath

1 REPLY 1
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Three potential ways to consider below.  Note that Power BI doesn't inherently provide ways to take data snapshots.

1.  Use the incremental refresh feature of Power BI , so you have all the data.  You can add a calculated column to define data periods for comparison if needed.

2. Since it is SQL Server, you could set up a flow in Power Automate with a Power Query step to get data on a defined schedule and save the files (as CSV probably) to SharePoint/OneDrive.  You can then use those files as your Power BI source.

3. Similar to #2, set up a paginated report and subcribe to the CSV version of it at a defined frequency, use a flow to save it on SharePoint/OneDrive and use those files as the source.

#1 is the cleanest/best if possible.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors