Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LincolnSantiago
Frequent Visitor

Refresh R Scripts with Personal Gateway

Hi,

I'm using the R script to handle a pdf dataset in the Power BI Desktop query editor. But I can't make an schedule refresh from the R data source using the personal gateway in the Power BI Service. The error "Credentials are invalid" is displayed. I am using the "Windows" authentication method, and I installed R on the same computer that Personal Gateway was installed.

can anybody help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to report that I received an answer from the Microsoft.

Seems to be a known issue with the Personal Gateway. In the meantime, we have a workaround available as below:

1. Open the On-premises Data Gateway (personal mode) desktop app on the machine where the gateway is installed.

2. Go to the connectors tab and switch off the Custom data connectors feature.

3. Click Apply -> Apply & Restart.

4. On the dataset page, click edit credentials and sign in.

Very good.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You must download the personal mode of the gateway, and you go directly to the configuration of the data set in the Power BI services, it asks you for "credentials" and that's it.

Shabyman
Frequent Visitor

I know this post may be old, but i experienced the same thing when switching from loading from my laptop to a server once we were sure out business wanted to continue using powerbi as our dashboard/reporting tool.

My experience was it kept saying when running on personal gateway on the server that the token key was wrong. 

My version that worked:

Personal gateway edition 3000.0.277 works perfectly originally i had installed 3000.0.144.3 and this didn't work. 

Hope this might help those who want to not switch off powerbi functionalities

I have the exact same issue

gateway version 3000.10.232

same message when i try to edit the credential foir the R script ....

if someone found a solution i'm really interested

regards

I have the same issue and it was occuring with the latest version of R script (3.6.1 ) and got fixed after using the lower version of R script (3.5.0).
Now we can successfully sign in to the R script (under data source credentials for Personal gateway  ) and refresh the r scripts dataset in Power BI service. 

Please mark this as solution, if this helps you !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue with the older version of R.

I also disabled the custom data connectors in the gateway settings. nothing helped.

Any other work arounds or solutions? appreciate your help

conroy
Frequent Visitor

the problem still exists. here is the steps to reproduce the issue. 

Interestingly, I can set up personal gateway to refresh python script without an issue. so this is probabaly an issue particularly with R.

in app.powerbi.com settings > datasets > edit credentials > authentication method : windowswithout impersonation (which is the only option) > privacy level: public > sign in > then throws error:

Failed to update data source credentials: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Analytics.Modules.R.ErrorHandling.RException.Primitives.NotValidRDataException' was thrown.

Activity ID:27de3ae3-c2eb-4264-84d8-9600f0a5a4c0
Request ID:d817f2d5-4124-4300-a997-3476d637cc42
Status code:400
Time:Thu Aug 01 2019 22:23:27 GMT+0800 (Hong Kong Standard Time)
Version:13.0.10246.182
Cluster URI:https://wabi-east-asia-a-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net

dillisubedi

Is there any way that we can Refresh R scripts with Enterprise Gateway?

Divakar
Frequent Visitor

Hello everyone, 

I see this same issue for my dashboard (which refreshes using a R script). In PBI service, there is a cross mark (x) against the 'Edit Credentials' for R source, and when i click on 'Edit Credentials' and say 'Sign In', the error 'Failed to update credentials....' pops up. For me this started during the week of 11-June. 

Has anyone found a solution for this, or heard from MS?

Thank you!

No still waiting.

Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to report that I received an answer from the Microsoft.

Seems to be a known issue with the Personal Gateway. In the meantime, we have a workaround available as below:

1. Open the On-premises Data Gateway (personal mode) desktop app on the machine where the gateway is installed.

2. Go to the connectors tab and switch off the Custom data connectors feature.

3. Click Apply -> Apply & Restart.

4. On the dataset page, click edit credentials and sign in.

Very good.

Did not work for me.  

jagatho
Frequent Visitor

I have the exact same error.

Have tried both R script datasource and R script transformation. Same result.

It is the latest version of the personal gateway (14.16.6724.2), which works on reports without R scripts.

I reported this issue to product team Microsoft on June 6 (SR number 118060718341511).
I am waiting the answer.

Hey LincolnSantiago

Please keep us posted

vishen6
Regular Visitor

Hi, I am facing the same problem and no matter what i try it says cannot update credentials.
I am using windows credentials and yes i have changed the privacy level of R data source to public

sontt
Resolver I
Resolver I

I got same error. even my Rscript still working in other dataset. But when i make other dataset with same Rscript, i cant credentials it.

Credencial Gateway R Script.pngHi sontt
it's hard. have you ever succeeded in scheduled refresh r script in power bi service?

LincolnSantiago
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I'm using the R script to handle a pdf dataset in the Power BI Desktop query editor. But I can't make an schedule refresh from the R data source using the personal gateway in the Power BI Service. The error "Credentials are invalid" is displayed. I am using the "Windows" authentication method, and I installed R on the same computer that Personal Gateway was installed.

can anybody help me?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors