Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AnneL

Refresh Excel data model into PowerBI

Hi!

After hours of searching and trying I decided to come here for help. I have created a query in Excel, wich I have imported into the Excel data model. This data model is imported into PowerBI, where I created the connections and build a few dashboards. 

Now, I  have added more data (rows based on date) into the data model and would like to refresh this in PowerBI, so I do not have to import it again and rebuild the dashboard from scratch.

Does anyone know how to refresh an Excel data model in PowerBI.

I am new to PowerBI, so sorry if this is a stupid question, many thanks in advance!

Anne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is no connection any more between your Excel File and Power BI. 

After you've imported it to Power BI, these files are independent from each other.

If you want to run one central model and consume it with different clients, you should publish the model in Power BI service and consume from there. Just update that model in the service to "push" all changes to the consuming models.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @AnneL ,

Did you originally bring the file in by selecting Excel? 

You should be able to either click on Refresh in Power BI the third picture, or edit queries and click on refresh in the Power Query Editor.  You would then click on Close and Apply as in the first picture.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

file.PNG

file1.PNG

file2.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @Nathaniel_C ,

Many thanks for replying, I truly appreciate it. No I imported it using power query, as in the first picture. In the data model I'm using you can see the rows are updated till 10/2 (Picture 3). Whereas in PowerBi this is only till 20/9 (picture 2). I am trying to add the last few rows, without having to start from scrach with my dashboards in PowerBI. Both of the refresh buttons you mentioned do not do anything.

Many thanks again!

PB1.pngPB2.pngPB3.png

Hi @AnneL ,

See this...REFRESH

From this it seems like it is a point in time snapshot.  Refresh the underlying data first.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Hi @Nathaniel_C ,

Thanks for answering again. I have came across that article already and read it a few times. You are right that it is a screenshot and I need to refresh the underlying data. However, I just can't figure out how to do it. Is it even possible to do this when importing via Power Query, or should I have just imported it via Excel instead of the data model?

Many thanks again, it is appreciated!

Anne

Hi @AnneL ,

We need to reach out to @ImkeF , who is a wiz at Power Query.

Nathaniel

There is no connection any more between your Excel File and Power BI. 

After you've imported it to Power BI, these files are independent from each other.

If you want to run one central model and consume it with different clients, you should publish the model in Power BI service and consume from there. Just update that model in the service to "push" all changes to the consuming models.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

So @AnneL , is there a reason why you imported, rather than getting the data from Excel?

@Nathaniel_C , just beceause I already created a calander table in Excel to report different relationships and to have more options with analzying and it is easier to add data I think. I will continue working in Power BI, create a calendar table there and just use the import function as @ImkeF mentioned.

Thanks for helping out!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors