Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HenrikHulstrøm
Regular Visitor

Reference Parameter from within Python Script

I wan't to use Python Script to query a web api, by a Parameter. How do I reference a Parameter from with a Python Script?

Problem is simplified underneath.

CaputeParameter.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @HenrikHulstrøm ,

Sorry for that, I'm not familar with Python script.

Please refer to this script. As the variable should be text value, we need translate the parameter as text type.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxkqxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Run Python script" = Python.Execute("# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script#(lf)import pandas as pd#(lf)#(lf)param="&Text.From(Param1)&"#(lf)epdsDict=[]#(lf)epdsDict.append({'Product Brand': param})#(lf)Table= pd.DataFrame(epdsDict)",[dataset=#"Changed Type"])
in
    #"Run Python script"

Here is the output.

output.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @HenrikHulstrøm ,

By my tests and research, I'm afraid that your syntax of referencing parameter is incorrect.

Please try the code below.

import pandas as pd
param= '"&Param1&"'
EpdsDict=[]

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry - thanks for helping.

Your suggest will not read out the value '472', but assign &Param1& to variable param.
CaptureParameter1.PNG

Hi @HenrikHulstrøm ,

Sorry for that, I'm not familar with Python script.

Please refer to this script. As the variable should be text value, we need translate the parameter as text type.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxkqxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Run Python script" = Python.Execute("# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script#(lf)import pandas as pd#(lf)#(lf)param="&Text.From(Param1)&"#(lf)epdsDict=[]#(lf)epdsDict.append({'Product Brand': param})#(lf)Table= pd.DataFrame(epdsDict)",[dataset=#"Changed Type"])
in
    #"Run Python script"

Here is the output.

output.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

I found the solution. Please like my post: 

param='"&Text.From(Param1)&"'

note the single quotes.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors