Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KingCanute
Regular Visitor

Reduce number of rows imported into Power BI using Html.Table

Hello All,

I am importing a data set for some training information that is available in a HTML table (from the web).

I can connect to the data and everything is working well.

The only issue is that there are about 20,000 records and everytime I make a change to one of the existing queries, it takes ages to refresh and implement the query changes.

Is there any way that I can limit the number of rows that are imported at the Html.Table(Source,...level in the applied steps.

If this is possible, it would allow me to limit the data to say 10 rows, so that I can efficiently test the queries that I am developing.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
KingCanute
Regular Visitor

Is it possible to nest the  Table.FirstN ( Source, 10 ) code inside the Html.Table parameter? So that the numbers of rows definded is extracted? 

KingCanute
Regular Visitor

Hi jennratten,

Just saw your message. Thanks you for responding! I will try this in the morning...my bain if fried today!

Thanks again...I will report back soon

jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - you can limit the number of rows for HTML.Table by using the Table.FirstN function, like in the example below.  However, there may be a better way to handle this depending on your script.  If you'd like to post that I can check it out.  Otherwise, the example below should help, which limits the rows in the HTML table to the first 10.

let
    Source = Html.Table(
            "<div class=""name"">Jo</div><span>Manager</span>", 
            {{"Name", ".name"}, {"Title", "span"}}, 
            [RowSelector=".name"]
    ),
    FirstNRows = Table.FirstN ( Source, 10 )
in 
    FirstNRows

Hi Jennratten,

Thanks again!

I did try something similar before, but the the query tries to download the entire data set before limiting it to say the FristN (10).

Here is the beginnig part of the M code

let
Source = Web.BrowserContents("https:// Web Adress"),

#"Extracted Table From Html" = Html.Table(Source, {{"Column1", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(1)"}, {"Column2", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(2)"}, {"Column3", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(3)"}, {"Column4", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(4)"}, {"Column5", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(5)"}, {"Column6", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(6)"}, {"Column7", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(7)"}, {"Column8", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(8)"}, {"Column9", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(9)"}, {"Column10", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(10)"}, {"Column11", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(11)"}, {"Column12", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(12)"}, {"Column13", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(13)"}, {"Column14", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(14)"}, {"Column15", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(15)"}, {"Column16", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(16)"}, {"Column17", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(17)"}, {"Column18", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(18)"}, {"Column19", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(19)"}, {"Column20", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(20)"}, {"Column21", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(21)"}, {"Column22", "TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR > :nth-child(22)"}}, [RowSelector="TABLE.ReportTable.SimpleGrid > * > TR"]),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Extracted Table From Html", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors