Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JVos
Helper IV
Helper IV

Recursive query to derive indirect relationships

I have a table with direct relations between so-called 'routings' (let's say: process steps). Now I want to derive all indirect relations. For example when routing 1 directly preceeds 2, 2 directly preceeds 3, 3 directly preceeds 4, then 1 INdirectly preceeds 3 and 4 and 2 INdirectly preceeds 4. I use Power Query within Excel 2016.

Example table with direct relations:

FromToRelationType
12Direct
13Direct
24Direct
35Direct
56Direct
67Direct

Direct

And this is what the result should be (so comprising direct and indirect relations):

FromToRelationType
12Direct
13Direct
24Direct
35Direct
56Direct
14Indirect
15Indirect
16Indirect
17Indirect
18Indirect
36Indirect
37Indirect
38Indirect
57Indirect
58Indirect

This is how I want to derive all indirect relationships:

1. Start with routings that aren't present in the To column (they're at the start of a chain of routings) (level 1);

2. Determine their successors (level 2);

3. Determine the successors of those successors (level 3);

4. Set indirect relationships between predecessors and successors of level 2;

5. Take routings of level 2 as level 1 and perform steps 1 to 4 again. This until the result of step 3 is empty (ends of chains are reached).

I am trying to create a custom recursive function for this, but it's a hard job. How could this best be solved?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Nolock: I worked out the solution to prevent endless loops. In short: the 'froms' that are already done, are remember in a list and not offered to be done in a next recursion. At the end of the query self-referencing transitions are removed.

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(),
    tmpInput = Source{[Name="tmpInput"]}[Content],
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(tmpInput,{{"From", Int64.Type}, {"To", Int64.Type}, {"RelationType", type text}}),

// get list of all descendants
    fnTransitiveRelationList = (sourceTbl as table, curToBeDoneList as list, alreadyDoneList as list) as list =>
        let
            curNumber = List.First(curToBeDoneList),
            rowsStartingWithCurNumber = Table.SelectRows(sourceTbl, each [From] = curNumber),
            alreadyDoneList = List.Combine({alreadyDoneList, {curNumber}}),

result =
                if Table.IsEmpty(rowsStartingWithCurNumber) and List.IsEmpty(curToBeDoneList) then
                    {}
                else
                    let 
                        toList = Table.Column(rowsStartingWithCurNumber, "To"),

nextToBeDoneList = List.Distinct(
                            List.Combine(
                                {
                                    List.RemoveFirstN(curToBeDoneList, 1), 
                                    toList
                                }
                            )
                        ),
                        nextToBeDoneListNoAlreadyDone = List.Difference(nextToBeDoneList,alreadyDoneList),
                        recursiveResultList = @fnTransitiveRelationList(sourceTbl, nextToBeDoneListNoAlreadyDone, alreadyDoneList),

curRecursiveResultList = List.Distinct(
                            List.Combine(
                                {
                                    toList, 
                                    recursiveResultList
                                }
                            )
                        )
                    in
                        curRecursiveResultList
        in
            result,

// create a table from all descendants with a from column and relation type = indirect
    fnTransitiveRelationTable = (sourceTbl as table, from as number) as table =>
        let
            recursiveList = fnTransitiveRelationList(sourceTbl, {from},{}),
            recordList = List.Transform(recursiveList, each [From = from, To = _, RelationType = "Indirect"]),
            result = Table.FromRecords(recordList)
        in
            result,

// add a column TableOfDescendants
    TableOfDescendents = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "TableOfDescendents", each fnTransitiveRelationTable(ChangedType, [From])),

// combine input table with new descendants
    TableOfAllDescentantsTables = Table.Combine({ChangedType, Table.Combine(TableOfDescendents[TableOfDescendents])}),

// distinct on columns From and To
    Result = Table.SelectRows(Table.Distinct(TableOfAllDescentantsTables, {"From", "To"}), each [From] <> [To])
in
    Result

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @JVos,

I've written the recursive part of the task and you have now a list of all descendent for every row.
Unfortunately I can't finish it now because of time pressure. I'll continue tomorrow if you don't finish it by yourself till then.

EDIT: The working solution with comments. It creates a list of all descendents for every row and then merges the result with the origin table.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTICYpfMotTkEqVYHYiQMaoQSIUJqhBIhSmqEIhrhioE4ppjClkgCcUCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [From = _t, To = _t, RelationType = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"From", Int64.Type}, {"To", Int64.Type}, {"RelationType", type text}}),

fnTransitiveRelationList = (sourceTbl as table, curToBeDoneList as list) as list =>
        let
            rowsStartingWithCurNumber = Table.SelectRows(sourceTbl, each [From] = curNumber),

result =
                if Table.IsEmpty(rowsStartingWithCurNumber) and List.IsEmpty(curToBeDoneList) then
                    {}
                else
                    let 

List.Combine(
                                {
                                    toList
                                }
                            )
                        ),
                        recursiveResultList = @fnTransitiveRelationList(sourceTbl, nextToBeDoneList),

List.Combine(
                                {
                                    toList, 
                                    recursiveResultList
                                }
                            )
                        )
                    in
                        curRecursiveResultList
        in
            result,

// create a table from all descendants with a from column and relation type = indirect
        let
            recursiveList = fnTransitiveRelationList(sourceTbl, {from}),
            recordList = List.Transform(recursiveList, each [From = from, To = _, RelationType = "Indirect"]),
        in
            result,

TableOfDescendents = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "TableOfDescendents", each fnTransitiveRelationTable(ChangedType, [From])),

TableOfAllDescentantsTables = Table.Combine({ChangedType, Table.Combine(TableOfDescendents[TableOfDescendents])}),
    Result = Table.Distinct(TableOfAllDescentantsTables, {"From", "To"})
in
    Result

Hi @Nolock: in the basis, I get your solution to work in my Excel file. Two things:

1. Can you shortly explain how you created the Base64 string that is present in your code?

2. With the real data - above I gave a simple example - the query function is running endless. This is maybe because the relations aren't strict transitve. For example:

FromToRelationType
6779Direct
7969Direct
7971Direct
7172Direct
7273Direct
6794Direct
9495Direct
9596Direct

Two paths to get from 67 to 71:

67 => 79 => 71

67 => 94 => 95 => 96 => 71

Note that in this real example there are no loops defined. However I need also to cope with such situations.

I am going to try to find a solution building on the code you provided. But if you quickly know how to solve this, I am pleased with your help.

Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You get the Base64 string when you create a table with help of PowerQuery Editor GUI via Home / External Data / Enter Data.

@Nolock: Can you help me a little bit more regarding the base64 string, please? The Power Query Editor that starts from Excel doesn't have the 'External Data' group. Excel has on its 'Data' tab the 'Get & Transform Data' group and there the option 'From Table/Range', but that's not giving me a base64 string.

Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @JVos,

the Base64 code contains only a sample of data which I've used in my solution.

In Excel: Click on Data / Get Data / From Other Sources / Blank Query

Capture.PNG

It will open the PowerQuery Editor. Click on Advanced Editor and replace those 4 lines with the code I've posted.

Capture2.PNG

You can see the result of the query in the background.

What you explained, is what I already understood. My question is: how to create that base64 string?

Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @JVos,

now I see. Sorry, I don't know how to create a sample table in Excel.

@Nolock: The duplicate paths to get from 67 to 71 aren't the problem, I found already. I am going to investigate now my complete set with data what might be the problem (probably a loop).

Problem is indeed a loop in the from-to's, e.g. 76 > 77 and 77 > 76.

@Nolock: I worked out the solution to prevent endless loops. In short: the 'froms' that are already done, are remember in a list and not offered to be done in a next recursion. At the end of the query self-referencing transitions are removed.

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(),
    tmpInput = Source{[Name="tmpInput"]}[Content],
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(tmpInput,{{"From", Int64.Type}, {"To", Int64.Type}, {"RelationType", type text}}),

fnTransitiveRelationList = (sourceTbl as table, curToBeDoneList as list, alreadyDoneList as list) as list =>
        let
            alreadyDoneList = List.Combine({alreadyDoneList, {curNumber}}),

result =
                    {}
                else
                    let 

List.Combine(
                                {
                                    toList
                                }
                            )
                        ),
                        nextToBeDoneListNoAlreadyDone = List.Difference(nextToBeDoneList,alreadyDoneList),
                        recursiveResultList = @fnTransitiveRelationList(sourceTbl, nextToBeDoneListNoAlreadyDone, alreadyDoneList),

List.Combine(
                                {
                                    toList, 
                                    recursiveResultList
                                }
                            )
                        )
                    in
                        curRecursiveResultList
        in
            result,

let
            recursiveList = fnTransitiveRelationList(sourceTbl, {from},{}),
        in
            result,

Result = Table.SelectRows(Table.Distinct(TableOfAllDescentantsTables, {"From", "To"}), each [From] <> [To])
in
    Result

@Nolock : I noticed a performance issue. Please see: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Performance-issue-at-expanding-or-combining-tablecolumn.... If you have any idea...

Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @JVos,

ok, I will look at it. Btw. I will publish a blog post about a transitive closure in Power Query next Tuesday. You can find it then here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/bg-p/community_blog

Hi @Nolock: Thank you for your solution. In the meantime I figured out a solution by myself, but it's very resource / time consuming when there are more than 5 iterations. I am going to try you solution next week.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors