Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Reed123

Recursive loop to overwrite old sales data

I am pulling a sales & labor file everyday and trying to append all csv files in one query. The issue is I pull this with a 7 day lookback and need the new data to overwirte the old data. I cannot do a groupby as labor will sometimes be adjusted during the validation process and the labor hours will be different between the old and the new data. I currently have daily data starting 1/1/2021 and need to overwrite the last 7 days of data everyday, so my timeframe is constantly chaning.

Since all csv files are in one folder, my current thought process is to load the folder into two queries. On one query, called "Historical data", I will load the folder, expand to show the tables, then apply a filter to remove the last 7 days of data. On the second query, called "New Data", I will filter out the files to show only the most recent file (the file that I uploaded that day), then expand it to show the table. I then append New Data to Historical Data.

Is this the most efficient way to do this, or is there some sort of recurssive loop that I can use to overwrite historical data with new data in one query? I was unable to find anything on google about this, but it seems this would be a common problem with any kind of data that is updated daily. 

Thanks,

Reed

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Power BI has no memory. You need to do that in the upstream system.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors