Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CAPEconsulting
Helper III
Helper III

RANKX excluding blanks

The following is a simpler version of my table that actually has very high volue of data and is sensetive data that I cannot share - so have made a dummy version below

Store CategoryStore IDIndicatorItemValue
AwesomeX001qs1include1
AwesomeX002qs1exclude2
AwesomeX003qs1include2
DangerousY001qs1 3
DangerousY002qs1include0
DangerousY003qs1 1
AwesomeX001qs2include0
AwesomeX002qs2 0
AwesomeX003qs2include3
DangerousY001qs2 5
DangerousY002qs2 8
DangerousY003qs2 7

I want to calculate rank of store ID based on store catgeory and by Indicator and ranking only when denominator was >1
So a Pivot table that can give me

Pivot table formatPivot table format

I have the following Measures

MeasureSum = SUM(Sumo[Value])

Numerator = CALCULATE( [MeasureSum] , FILTER( VALUES(Sumo[Item]),  Sumo[Item]= "Include" ))
Denominator = CALCULATE( [MeasureSum] , FILTER( VALUES(Sumo[Item]),  Sumo[Item]<> "Exclude" ))

Proportion = DIVIDE( Numerator, Denominator)

Ranking Proportion =IF( [Denominator] >1, [Proportion], BLANK())

Rank =  IF (NOT (ISBLANK ([Ranking Proportion])), RANKX( ALLSELECTED(Sumo[Indicator]), CALCULATE( [Ranking Proportion], ALLSELECTED( Sumo[Store Category])), , ASC, Dense))

Here I get ranks just fine but the in indicator where a store ID has blank gets a virtual rank of 1 (even though it appears blank) and the ranks start from 2 for the one that I really need to be rank 1.

Could you assist please in removing BLANK() from my RANKX.

8 REPLIES 8
CAPEconsulting
Helper III
Helper III

@OwenAuger  @Phil_Seamark  @Mariusz  any suggestions please

Any suggestions please ???

@CAPEconsulting  To make it more clear, could you please post your expected output as well based on the above test data provided.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

@PattemManohar thnaks for replying. Below is the hypothetical outcome that I want in essense - Rank based on measure called [Ranking Proportion] of all all StoreIDs amongst ALL(Store Category). Where [Ranking Proportion] is Blank(), for that store for the respective indicator Rank is alos Blank() and Blanks are excluded in the ranking list. Hope this makes sense.Capture.JPG

My current measure  Ranks=IF( NOT( ISBLANK( [Ranking Proportion] )), RANKX( FILTER(ALL(Sumo[Store ID]), NOT( ISBLANK( [Ranking Proportion] ))), CALCULATE( [Ranking Proportion], ALL( Sumo[Store Category])), , ASC, Dense) )

works perfectly but only when I have just the Store ID in the pivot table. The moment I add Store Category to my Pivot Table it only ranks within the Store Catgeories, whereas I want universal ranking not just within the Store Categories. I have used ALL( Sumo[Store Category] in my CALCULATE statement but the output is still giving me ranks within the Store Category

@PattemManohar and @dax any suggestions at all ?

@Zubair_Muhammad @AlbertoFerrari @marcorusso @MattAllington any suggestions anyone please

Hi CAPEconsulting, 

It seems that you want to exclude blank when ranking, right? If so, you could try below measure 

Rank = IF (NOT (ISBLANK ([Ranking Proportion])), RANKX( FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Sumo[Indicator]), NOT(ISBLANK([Ranking Proportion]))), CALCULATE( [Ranking Proportion], ALLSELECTED( Sumo[Store Category])), , ASC, Dense))

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@dax 

I have tried this but this way it gives me ranks within the store categories. So each category gets its own rank 1 rank 2 etc. But that's not what I want. I want ranks for all of the dataset. So rank 1 needs to be the best in all store categories combined.

Any other suggestions

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors