Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ericspletzer
Helper I
Helper I

Quickbooks Online Integration to Power BI: Blank fields in General Ledger

Hello,

I was using PowerBI to look at KPI reporting on our financials in Quickbooks Online and it was wonderful.  A beautiful and useful tool.

But no more.  In march it stopped working.  I don't know if Power BI changed or QBO changed, but the link between them did.

I don't get kicked out.  The connection is maintained and fine.  It even brings in my AR and AP and customer lists.  It just seems like it doesn't bring in info for the General Ledger Table, which in turn breaks almost every other graph.

Has anyone had to deal with this.  Microsoft support is acting like I'm the only one. and that's like a Power BI death sentence.

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ericspletzer,

How about using Power BI Desktop to connect to Quickbooks Online? Does the General Ledger table work as expected?

As far as I know, there is no change in Power BI Service content pack for Quickbooks Online, I would recommend you that check if there are any changes in Quickbooks Online side.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I've never used PowerBI Desktop.  I have a free online subscription to Power BI.  Does this include a desktop program as well?  Is this the app in the windows sotre?  I will try that.

What would be different on the quickbooks side.  It's a web based service, so there is one QB platform and one PowerBI platform, right?  It's not like I could be using the wrong "version."  Is there a guideline anywhere to quickbooks settings that might make it incompatible with PowerBI, or the requisite settings?

So I have connected to the QBOnline data with no problem in PowerBI desktop.  Except that it is not nearly as developed as the web application of Power BI with the stndard QB templates adn I have to rebuild them all from scratch.

Has nobody else had this problem?

Yes.  I've had the same issues that you have in trying to connect PowerBI to Quickbooks Online. 

Here's what I've noticed over the last year: 

1. The API connector between PowerBI and QBO is weak.  It sometimes works for some things, and sometimes breaks, and sometimes times out and other occasionally doesn't work at all. 

2. It works best for AR Aging.  

3. There's the Content Pack that was created over a year ago, which is quite nifty.  

4. The big problem with it is that you can't download it. You can see that they created a bunch of fancy measures to make it all work, but replicating the Content Pack would take at least a week to rebuild a black box.  So, for example, showing a balance sheet can become a very hard thing if you have to build the whole thing up from individual transactions. 

5. Not all the Quickbooks tables are exposed.  Only some are. 

6. I've specifically had trouble loading the General Ledger table.  It's kind of a big table for us, and that will time out, occasionally. 

7. PowerBI Desktop is a much better development environment than PowerBI Service.  You absolutely want to be doing your development in Desktop.  

8. PowerBI Service is for sharing, and auto-updating.  It does the auto-update reasonably well.  The sharing model has yet to be figured out adequately, IMHO. 

9. You can be connect to QBO from PowerBI Desktop or Service, but not both at the same time.  It's like a light swich.  It can only point one way at a time. 

I hav tried this in both Desktop and the Online service.  

I think the problem is that the budget data is stored int eh BudgetDetail item, but PowerBI does not dig into this array to get the totals, so it's left with a shell of the object.

https://developer.intuit.com/docs/api/accounting/budget

That may be ONE problem.  The bigger issue is that the API is rickety. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It seems like it times out when loading the GL table. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors