Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

setis
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Question about incremental refresh (happening in the DataFlow but not in the report)

Dear all, 

I have a large table of 50M+ rows in a DataFlow with incremental refresh working. The DataFlow update takes a couple of minutes. 

When I import this table from the dataflow into my report and I right click on the last stem, I can see that the "View Native Query" is greyed out. As far as I understand, this might that query folding might not be happening. 

After filtering this table using my RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters, I activate the incremental refresh on the table (keep 2 years, update 5 days), but the report update in the server, after the first load, takes a couple of hours every time. So I guess that incremental refresh is not happening in the report update. 

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @setis ,

Power BI Query Editor cant use Query Folding at all.

Reference: Power BI Dataflows, Computed Entities and Query Folding

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tylesftw
Helper II
Helper II

Did you ever manage to fix this?

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @setis ,

Power Query loads only data specified between the RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters. Depending on the amount of data in that period, load should go quickly. If it seems slow and process intensive, it's likely the query is not folding.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-stephen-msft thanks, but can the folding happen when the source is a PBI DataFlow?

The folding is happening in the DataFlow (it's refreshed in minutes), but when the report is refreshed it take a couple of hours.  

Hi @setis ,

Power BI Query Editor cant use Query Folding at all.

Reference: Power BI Dataflows, Computed Entities and Query Folding

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors