Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Query is not Refreshing Preview in Query Editor

I have several queries and the refresh in Power Query Editor is not working. I will click on the query, click refresh preview, and then the three dots spin across the top of the screen with nothing else happening. There isn't even new data to refresh, I just want to be able to work with the data and edit the steps but I am unable to even see the data because the preview will not load. It seems to just be for this pbix file because I opened my other reports and I am not seeing this issue. There is only one data source and it is a 72,554 KB excel file. The several queries include one (#1) that had 2 (#1a & #1b) tables appended to it and then that is referenced in another table (#2). This table (#2) is referenced as the data source in table #3. I realize that this might call for longer refresh times but this used to work and now is not. 

I have restarted my computer, restarted power bi, worked in different files, and cleared my cache. Really not sure why this is happening. 

Please please please help me! This is taking hours away from my work. Thank you so much!

6 REPLIES 6
Karan_9650
Frequent Visitor

@Farkas when it comes to loading data in the editor, this is my experience! The larger the file size and the more queries in the editor, it will take time to load. 

Solution: Keep the file with the editor open and refresh all and let the file load the first table. It actually calls mutiple tables due to which the load time increases causing the file to take endless time to load. I had to keep my file open for 6 hours. Leave the file overnight and the data will start loading. It doesn't matter 6-9 hours, just look at the PC performance and if power Bi is using memory then the data will load.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also experiencing this problem

Karan_9650
Frequent Visitor

I am facing the same issue of power query editor failing to load any of the tables in power bi. I have restarted the pc,removed cache from power bi and the pc. I have checked my internet and the version looks up to date too. 

Although in the past I have worked on data much bigger than this, still have never faced such an issue. This is really terrible as I am not able to deliver my work cause of Powe BI and microsoft, this is truely not the best experience. 

I have been working for 3 days on this and am still facing this issue even after loading the tables in the same file.

The power query editor is incapble to load the data and it is annoying the patience it takes and still no work is done. @myMicrosoft @MicrosoftADE @sammicrosoft

You should contact support then. Links at the bottom of this page https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Farkas
Regular Visitor

Hi! I have the exact same problem. Data will be loaded in Power BI, however in the query editor there will be no preview shown, but endless refreshing. I did not apply any filters, had only the source and navigation steps in the editor window. I also can not edit anything, since the data is not shown.
I was connected through ODBC PostgreSQL.
Then I tried the PostgreSQL-database option and it worked!
My only problem is, that I can not apply this solution in excel, since there's only the ODBC connection available.
So if anybody had a good idea, please share!

edhans
Super User
Super User

So the tables are empty in Power Query - meaning it isn't stale data - there is no data, correct?

Are you sure you don't have a filter upstream that is filtering the data out?

When you say you cleared the cache, you mean in Power BI, right? File, Options, Options, Global, Data Load, Clear Cache.

Could you post your M code? Go to the advanced editor, and CTRL-A, then CTRL-C, then here, click on the Code box with the </> icon in the tool bar, and CTRL-V (paste) it in.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors