Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Query for Reporting Date Cycles

Hello,

Looking to speed up the time it would take me to do this myself, and wondered if they had a query they could shre for Reporting.

Ideally

Date, Year, Month Name, Quarter, Week Number, Day NO, Day Name, Day of Week, Fiscal year, Fiscal Period, FIscal Quarter, Fiscal Year & Quarter, Week Ending and Week commencing.

Any help is gratefully appreciated (oh and UK)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @Anonymous ,

I have one to get you started. However, you didn't explain to us what month the fiscal period begins also if the fiscal period is based on the fiscal year/fiscal quarter  or what date you want to start the calendar. With that said here's what I came up with starting 1/1/2020.

Change the FiscalMonth to the starting month of your Fiscal Calendar and change the Source date to the date you want the calendar to begin.

let
    Source = #date(2020,1,1),

FiscalMonth = 9,
    #"Convert to List" = List.Dates(Source, Number.From(DateTime.LocalNow())-Number.From(Source),#duration(1,0,0,0)),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(#"Convert to List", Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Renamed Column to Date" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "Date Range"}}),
    #"Changed Type to Date" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Column to Date",{{"Date Range", type date}}, "en-GB"),
    #"Inserted Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type to Date", "Year", each Date.Year([Date Range]), Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Start of Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Year", "Start of Year", each Date.StartOfYear([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted End of Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Start of Year", "End of Year", each Date.EndOfYear([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted End of Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted End of Year", "End of Month", each Date.EndOfMonth([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted Month Name" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted End of Month", "Month Name", each Date.MonthName([Date Range]), type text),
    #"Inserted Start of Week" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Month Name", "Start of Week", each Date.StartOfWeek([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted End of Week" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Start of Week", "End of Week", each Date.EndOfWeek([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted End of Quarter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted End of Week", "End of Quarter", each Date.EndOfQuarter([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted Quarter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted End of Quarter", "Quarter",  each  "Q" & Number.ToText(Date.QuarterOfYear([Date Range])),type text),
    #"Inserted Weekday" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Quarter", "Day Name", each Date.DayOfWeekName([Date Range]), type text),
    #"Inserted Month Number" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Weekday", "Month Number", each Date.Month([Date Range]), Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Fiscal Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Month Number", "Fiscal Month", each if(FiscalMonth <= [Month Number]) then [Month Number] - FiscalMonth +1 else (12 - FiscalMonth+1)+[Month Number], Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Full Fiscal Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Fiscal Month", "Full Fiscal Month", each if [Fiscal Month]< 10 then Text.Combine({"0", Text.From([Fiscal Month], "en-GB")}) else Text.From([Fiscal Month],"en-GB"), Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Fiscal Start Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Fiscal Month", "BeginFiscalYear", each FiscalMonth, Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Fiscal Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Fiscal Start Month", "Fiscal Year", each if (FiscalMonth <= [Month Number]) then [Year]+1 else [Year], Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Beginning of Fiscal Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Fiscal Year", "Beginning Fiscal Year", each Date.FromText(Text.Combine({Text.From([BeginFiscalYear], "en-GB"), "/", "1", "/", Text.From([Year]-1, "en-GB")})), type date),
    #"Inserted Day of Fiscal Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Beginning of Fiscal Year", "Day of Fiscal Year", each Duration.Days([Date Range]- [Beginning Fiscal Year]), Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Week of Fiscal Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Day of Fiscal Year", "Week of Fiscal Year", each Number.Round([Day of Fiscal Year]/7,0,0), Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Quarter of Fiscal Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Week of Fiscal Year", "Quarter of Fiscal Year", each "Q" & Number.ToText(Number.Round(([Fiscal Month]+1)/3,0,0)), type text)
in
    #"Inserted Quarter of Fiscal Year"

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up! ?
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

You can try this function. This is what I am using for years now. This is from enterprise dna site. I just amended the Week Number because I need to follow the ISO week.

let fnDateTable = (StartDate as date, EndDate as date, FYStartMonth as number) as table =>
  let
    DayCount = Duration.Days(Duration.From(EndDate - StartDate)),
    Source = List.Dates(StartDate,DayCount,#duration(1,0,0,0)),
    TableFromList = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing()),   
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(TableFromList,{{"Column1", type date}}),
    RenamedColumns = Table.RenameColumns(ChangedType,{{"Column1", "Date"}}),
    InsertYear = Table.AddColumn(RenamedColumns, "Year", each Date.Year([Date]),type text),
    InsertYearNumber = Table.AddColumn(RenamedColumns, "YearNumber", each Date.Year([Date])),
    InsertQuarter = Table.AddColumn(InsertYear, "QuarterOfYear", each Date.QuarterOfYear([Date])),
    InsertMonth = Table.AddColumn(InsertQuarter, "MonthOfYear", each Date.Month([Date]), type text),
    InsertDay = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonth, "DayOfMonth", each Date.Day([Date])),
    InsertDayInt = Table.AddColumn(InsertDay, "DateInt", each [Year] * 10000 + [MonthOfYear] * 100 + [DayOfMonth]),
    InsertMonthName = Table.AddColumn(InsertDayInt, "MonthName", each Date.ToText([Date], "MMMM"), type text),
    InsertCalendarMonth = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonthName, "MonthInCalendar", each (try(Text.Range([MonthName],0,3)) otherwise [MonthName]) & " " & Number.ToText([Year])),
    InsertCalendarQtr = Table.AddColumn(InsertCalendarMonth, "QuarterInCalendar", each "Q" & Number.ToText([QuarterOfYear]) & " " & Number.ToText([Year])),
    InsertDayWeek = Table.AddColumn(InsertCalendarQtr, "DayInWeek", each Date.DayOfWeek([Date])),
    InsertDayName = Table.AddColumn(InsertDayWeek, "DayOfWeekName", each Date.ToText([Date], "dddd"), type text),
    InsertWeekEnding = Table.AddColumn(InsertDayName, "WeekEnding", each Date.EndOfWeek([Date]), type date),
    InsertWeekNumber= Table.AddColumn(InsertWeekEnding, "Week Number", each if
Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear([Date])-(Date.DayOfWeek([Date], Day.Monday)+1)+10)/7)=0

then 
Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear(#date(Date.Year([Date])-1,12,31))-(Date.DayOfWeek(#date(Date.Year([Date])-1,12,31), Day.Monday)+1)+10)/7)

else if
(Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear([Date])-(Date.DayOfWeek([Date], Day.Monday)+1)+10)/7)=53
and (Date.DayOfWeek(#date(Date.Year([Date]),12,31), Day.Monday)+1<4))

then

else 
Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear([Date])-(Date.DayOfWeek([Date], Day.Monday)+1)+10)/7)),
    InsertMonthnYear = Table.AddColumn(InsertWeekNumber,"MonthnYear", each [Year] * 10000 + [MonthOfYear] * 100),
    InsertQuarternYear = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonthnYear,"QuarternYear", each [Year] * 10000 + [QuarterOfYear] * 100),
    ChangedType1 = Table.TransformColumnTypes(InsertQuarternYear,{{"QuarternYear", Int64.Type},{"Week Number", Int64.Type},{"Year", type text},{"MonthnYear", Int64.Type}, {"DateInt", Int64.Type}, {"DayOfMonth", Int64.Type}, {"MonthOfYear", Int64.Type}, {"QuarterOfYear", Int64.Type}, {"MonthInCalendar", type text}, {"QuarterInCalendar", type text}, {"DayInWeek", Int64.Type}}),
    InsertShortYear = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType1, "ShortYear", each Text.End(Text.From([Year]), 2), type text),
    AddFY = Table.AddColumn(InsertShortYear, "FY", each "FY"&(if [MonthOfYear]>=FYStartMonth then Text.From(Number.From([ShortYear])+1) else [ShortYear]))
in
    AddFY
in
    fnDateTable

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much everyone!

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

You can try this function. This is what I am using for years now. This is from enterprise dna site. I just amended the Week Number because I need to follow the ISO week.

let fnDateTable = (StartDate as date, EndDate as date, FYStartMonth as number) as table =>
  let
    DayCount = Duration.Days(Duration.From(EndDate - StartDate)),
    Source = List.Dates(StartDate,DayCount,#duration(1,0,0,0)),
    TableFromList = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing()),   
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(TableFromList,{{"Column1", type date}}),
    RenamedColumns = Table.RenameColumns(ChangedType,{{"Column1", "Date"}}),
    InsertYear = Table.AddColumn(RenamedColumns, "Year", each Date.Year([Date]),type text),
    InsertYearNumber = Table.AddColumn(RenamedColumns, "YearNumber", each Date.Year([Date])),
    InsertQuarter = Table.AddColumn(InsertYear, "QuarterOfYear", each Date.QuarterOfYear([Date])),
    InsertMonth = Table.AddColumn(InsertQuarter, "MonthOfYear", each Date.Month([Date]), type text),
    InsertDay = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonth, "DayOfMonth", each Date.Day([Date])),
    InsertDayInt = Table.AddColumn(InsertDay, "DateInt", each [Year] * 10000 + [MonthOfYear] * 100 + [DayOfMonth]),
    InsertMonthName = Table.AddColumn(InsertDayInt, "MonthName", each Date.ToText([Date], "MMMM"), type text),
    InsertCalendarMonth = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonthName, "MonthInCalendar", each (try(Text.Range([MonthName],0,3)) otherwise [MonthName]) & " " & Number.ToText([Year])),
    InsertCalendarQtr = Table.AddColumn(InsertCalendarMonth, "QuarterInCalendar", each "Q" & Number.ToText([QuarterOfYear]) & " " & Number.ToText([Year])),
    InsertDayWeek = Table.AddColumn(InsertCalendarQtr, "DayInWeek", each Date.DayOfWeek([Date])),
    InsertDayName = Table.AddColumn(InsertDayWeek, "DayOfWeekName", each Date.ToText([Date], "dddd"), type text),
    InsertWeekEnding = Table.AddColumn(InsertDayName, "WeekEnding", each Date.EndOfWeek([Date]), type date),
    InsertWeekNumber= Table.AddColumn(InsertWeekEnding, "Week Number", each if
Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear([Date])-(Date.DayOfWeek([Date], Day.Monday)+1)+10)/7)=0

then 
Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear(#date(Date.Year([Date])-1,12,31))-(Date.DayOfWeek(#date(Date.Year([Date])-1,12,31), Day.Monday)+1)+10)/7)

else if
(Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear([Date])-(Date.DayOfWeek([Date], Day.Monday)+1)+10)/7)=53
and (Date.DayOfWeek(#date(Date.Year([Date]),12,31), Day.Monday)+1<4))

then

else 
Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear([Date])-(Date.DayOfWeek([Date], Day.Monday)+1)+10)/7)),
    InsertMonthnYear = Table.AddColumn(InsertWeekNumber,"MonthnYear", each [Year] * 10000 + [MonthOfYear] * 100),
    InsertQuarternYear = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonthnYear,"QuarternYear", each [Year] * 10000 + [QuarterOfYear] * 100),
    ChangedType1 = Table.TransformColumnTypes(InsertQuarternYear,{{"QuarternYear", Int64.Type},{"Week Number", Int64.Type},{"Year", type text},{"MonthnYear", Int64.Type}, {"DateInt", Int64.Type}, {"DayOfMonth", Int64.Type}, {"MonthOfYear", Int64.Type}, {"QuarterOfYear", Int64.Type}, {"MonthInCalendar", type text}, {"QuarterInCalendar", type text}, {"DayInWeek", Int64.Type}}),
    InsertShortYear = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType1, "ShortYear", each Text.End(Text.From([Year]), 2), type text),
    AddFY = Table.AddColumn(InsertShortYear, "FY", each "FY"&(if [MonthOfYear]>=FYStartMonth then Text.From(Number.From([ShortYear])+1) else [ShortYear]))
in
    AddFY
in
    fnDateTable

Hope this helps!

Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @Anonymous ,

I have one to get you started. However, you didn't explain to us what month the fiscal period begins also if the fiscal period is based on the fiscal year/fiscal quarter  or what date you want to start the calendar. With that said here's what I came up with starting 1/1/2020.

Change the FiscalMonth to the starting month of your Fiscal Calendar and change the Source date to the date you want the calendar to begin.

let
    Source = #date(2020,1,1),

FiscalMonth = 9,
    #"Convert to List" = List.Dates(Source, Number.From(DateTime.LocalNow())-Number.From(Source),#duration(1,0,0,0)),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(#"Convert to List", Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Renamed Column to Date" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "Date Range"}}),
    #"Changed Type to Date" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Column to Date",{{"Date Range", type date}}, "en-GB"),
    #"Inserted Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type to Date", "Year", each Date.Year([Date Range]), Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Start of Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Year", "Start of Year", each Date.StartOfYear([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted End of Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Start of Year", "End of Year", each Date.EndOfYear([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted End of Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted End of Year", "End of Month", each Date.EndOfMonth([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted Month Name" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted End of Month", "Month Name", each Date.MonthName([Date Range]), type text),
    #"Inserted Start of Week" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Month Name", "Start of Week", each Date.StartOfWeek([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted End of Week" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Start of Week", "End of Week", each Date.EndOfWeek([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted End of Quarter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted End of Week", "End of Quarter", each Date.EndOfQuarter([Date Range]), type date),
    #"Inserted Quarter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted End of Quarter", "Quarter",  each  "Q" & Number.ToText(Date.QuarterOfYear([Date Range])),type text),
    #"Inserted Weekday" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Quarter", "Day Name", each Date.DayOfWeekName([Date Range]), type text),
    #"Inserted Month Number" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Weekday", "Month Number", each Date.Month([Date Range]), Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Fiscal Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Month Number", "Fiscal Month", each if(FiscalMonth <= [Month Number]) then [Month Number] - FiscalMonth +1 else (12 - FiscalMonth+1)+[Month Number], Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Full Fiscal Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Fiscal Month", "Full Fiscal Month", each if [Fiscal Month]< 10 then Text.Combine({"0", Text.From([Fiscal Month], "en-GB")}) else Text.From([Fiscal Month],"en-GB"), Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Fiscal Start Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Fiscal Month", "BeginFiscalYear", each FiscalMonth, Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Fiscal Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Fiscal Start Month", "Fiscal Year", each if (FiscalMonth <= [Month Number]) then [Year]+1 else [Year], Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Beginning of Fiscal Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Fiscal Year", "Beginning Fiscal Year", each Date.FromText(Text.Combine({Text.From([BeginFiscalYear], "en-GB"), "/", "1", "/", Text.From([Year]-1, "en-GB")})), type date),
    #"Inserted Day of Fiscal Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Beginning of Fiscal Year", "Day of Fiscal Year", each Duration.Days([Date Range]- [Beginning Fiscal Year]), Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Week of Fiscal Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Day of Fiscal Year", "Week of Fiscal Year", each Number.Round([Day of Fiscal Year]/7,0,0), Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Quarter of Fiscal Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Week of Fiscal Year", "Quarter of Fiscal Year", each "Q" & Number.ToText(Number.Round(([Fiscal Month]+1)/3,0,0)), type text)
in
    #"Inserted Quarter of Fiscal Year"

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up! ?

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors