Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anske
Frequent Visitor

Query folding for Redshift

Please help, I though as mentioned in Query folding with Amazon Web Services  that query folding is supported for Redshift, but when I'm trying to check the steps that apply query folding in the query editor by right mouse-clicking the steps, 'View Native Query' is greyed out at each and every steps, even the first initial steps of remove columns. 

Am I mistaken in thinking query folding is supported for Redshift?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Query folding is supported when using the Microsoft Redshift ODBC driver. Please review the Diagnostics Tool. This video will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFze-LdLqo

Thanks

Adam

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Anske, 

In the link, it didn't mention that the Redshit supoort query foldering. Most data sources that have the concept of a query language support query folding. These data sources can include relational databases, OData feeds (including SharePoint lists), Exchange, and Active Directory. However, data sources like flat files, blobs, and web typically do not.

In addition, in the Power Query Editor window, it is possible to determine when a Power Query query can be folded. In the Query Settings pane, when you right-click the last applied step, if the View Native Query option is enabled (not greyed out), then the query can be folded. You siad that the option is greyed out, so I think Redshift doesn't support it.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anske
Frequent Visitor

For all the other people trying to find out, the answer is, Redshift does not support query folding, unfortunately. 

The other thing is, when using power BI service, the range of IP adresses is too long to whitelist for your Redshift cluster. 

My advice would be, consider using another front-end tool when your data is in Redshift :-).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors