Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

l2aFa
Helper I
Helper I

Q&A not working

Hello everyone

I'm trying to get the Q&A working in my existing report. I have enabled the feature over the report's live connection (SSAS Tabular 2016) dataset but I'm unable to use it from within the Power BI Desktop, the icon is greyed out.

1.png

The tooltip also states that is unavailable for live connections while the documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-q-and-a-direct-query#what-data-is-cached-and-how-i... says that would work for my scenario unless I'm mistaken or I'm doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@l2aFa,

For live connections, the Q&A feature is currently not supported in Report view both in Power BI Service and Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@l2aFa,

In Power BI Desktop, Q&A feature doesn't work for live connetcion.

The article you mention is for Q&A feature of Power BI Service, in other words, you are able to use this feature for SSAS tabular live connection in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lydia

Thanks for your response.

I'm unable to make it work from the service either. I published the report including this month's Q&A button new feature. I have enabled the Q&A preview feature on the Power BI Desktop and also on the report's dataset configuration.

When I click on the button nothing happens. I don't know what I'm missing 😞

Thank you so much in advance.

@l2aFa

I can use Q&A feature for live SSAS tabular connection in Power BI Service. Do you configure gateway for the SSAS data source?

1.PNG

Could you please share a screenshot about your scenario?

Regards,
Lydia

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks again for your answer. Yes, the on-premises gateway is configured and running smoothly. As requested:

Dataset configuration:

1.png

Local report connected to SSAS instance:

3.png

Published report against the service (button doesn't respond):

2.png

Could it be due to the use of spanish ? Maybe I'm missing some additional configuration.

Thanks!

@l2aFa

Create a dashboard in Power BI Service for your report, then use Q&A feature as shown in my screenshot.

Reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-tutorial-q-and-a

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks again for your response.

I did as you instructed and I can see Q&A in the new dashboard however I remain unable to see it on the report (neither from the service or from the desktop). The "Ask a question" button doesn't even appear on the report canvas 😞 (as shown in the tutorial).

@l2aFa,

For live connections, the Q&A feature is currently not supported in Report view both in Power BI Service and Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

That solves the mistery then, I thought it did.

Thanks for your support!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors