Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

saturation
Frequent Visitor

Pull values from 2 tables into a 3rd table

I'm new to Power BI. I'm trying to create a 3rd table that takes columns from the first 2 tables so I can add some additional calculations on those "joined" values. Maybe there's a better way....But here's a sample of the two tables:

TABLE1

UnitID  |    COST

TABLE2  (there's a 1-1  relationship with UnitID to TABLE1)

UnitID   |   NUMOFUNITS

TABLE3 

COST  |  NUMOFUNITS |   TOTAL

I have TABLE3 created, but what function do I use to pull those columns from the matching rows from TABLE1 AND TABLE2?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Nathan,

I was actually able to accomplish this using the "Merge Queries" - now I have a table that contains values from both tables. Thank you for your help!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @saturation ,

Starting from scratch, Summarize might be better. Modeling tab Select New Table then added a total column. 
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Table3 = SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[Cost],Table2[NUMOFUNITS]  )

summarize.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Nathan,

I was actually able to accomplish this using the "Merge Queries" - now I have a table that contains values from both tables. Thank you for your help!

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @saturation ,

You should be able to use LOOKUPVALUE()

LOOKUPVALUE( <result_columnName>, <search_columnName>, <search_value>[, <search_columnName>, <search_value>]…[, <alternateResult>])

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Nathaniel,

I'm not familiar with the LOOKUPVALUE function. Are you able to help me apply it directly in this example? Just not sure which values go into which parameters...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors