Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

harsha99
Frequent Visitor

Proper way of interacting with Redshift inside private subnet in AWS

So our Redshift is out DWH located inside a private subnet in AWS. We want to connect from PowerBI cloud service to Redshift.

So from my previous reading and understanding from https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Connect-data-from-Amazon-AWS-Services/m... we plan to do that by launching a windows server instance in AWS VPC and installing a On Premise Data Gateway, which can access the private subnet.

Basically On Premise Gateway is kind of proxy to access my private DB. That sound perfectly good as my DB is not being exposed out.

Is this the best way of dealing this or are there any better approaches ?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Finally i figured it out and made it working, here is my solution for people who has their redshift not available to public internet.

So our redshift cannot be accessible from outside, it is only available to those machine which are on same network (AWS VPC). Since it is not accessible outside, exsisting redshift connector won't work. 

So i launched a windows instance within the same network where redshift lives. Made a ODBC connection with redshift. installed appropriate odbc drivers on gateway.

Published the pbix file to PowerBI service, configured odbc gateway in powerbi service and i was able to refresh data from redshift cluster.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors