Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

theBIbutler
Resolver II
Resolver II

Problems with personal gateway

Hi,

I've been having some issues with the Personal Gateway that I just can't seem to resolve hoping someone here can help....

I have the Gateway installed (multiple times! Latest version) and it is showing as running:

PBIGateway.png

The Data Management Gateway is started and connected:

PBIGateway2.png

On the Diagnostics tab I was able to connect to the SQL database that is my data source.

However in powerbi.com it just has the message that the personal gateway is offline:

PBIGateway3.png

I am a local admin and am enabled to logon as a service, have tried all sorts of things with opening ports etc but no joy...

Help!! 🙂

Cheers

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Promted by Microsoft I uninstalled and reinstalled as Administrator and it is now working, sure I did that at some point but must have mucked it up, anyway working now!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are both the Data Management Gateway and the Power BI Personal Gateway installed on the same machine? If that is so, you need to get rid of the Data Management Gateway. That looks like the old O365 data management gateway in the second screen shot and my understanding is that you are not supposed to run both on the same box. Quite probably that doing so is causing Power BI some issues. I would uninstall the old gateway version and the Power BI Personal Gateway, reboot, re-install the Power BI Personal Gateway.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

Thanks for responding - the Data Management Gateway that I took a screenshot of was installed as part of the Personal Gateway installation - it is accessed through:

C:\Program Files\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\ConfigManager.exe 

I assumed that the personal gateway used some legacy components of the old Data Management Gateway.   Do you not have this??

Cheers

Mark

Check the control panel for multiple installations of the gateway. the one time this happened to me, I had to uninstall all instances of the gateway and do a fresh installation. From there it was a simple fix to edit my credentials. Also, make sure you are running the latest version of the gateway as well as the desktop software (if applicable) as they will not communicate if one or the other is the latest rendition and the other is not.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi,

Have done all of those things:

- Confirmed only one installation

- Have uninstalled and reinstalled both the gateway and desktop multiple times, most recently on Monday this week

Still got the same issue, Gateway saying it is up and running but powerbi.com saying it isn't....

Promted by Microsoft I uninstalled and reinstalled as Administrator and it is now working, sure I did that at some point but must have mucked it up, anyway working now!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors