Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Code84

Problems with connecting against Azure Spark on HDInsight

Hello I am trying out PowerBI together with Azure Spark on HDInsight.

However I am failing with connecting PowerBI with Azure Spark.

I only get "We are unable to establish connection, please check connection information."

The connection information is looking correct atleast. Im sure on the password and username.

The server name i enter like this:

<clustername>.azurehdinsight.net

Does anyone know how I can get more information on why it fails?

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

My first guess would be authentication, how are you authenticating, OAuth?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello,

Thanks for taking some time and trying to help me.

I login with the regular username and password that is registered through Spark on Azure (the admin user I use to access anything with spark). 

It can be good to know have been following this guide: https://azure.microsoft.com/sv-se/documentation/articles/hdinsight-apache-spark-use-bi-tools/ and im stuck at Step4 in the title "Use Power BI to analyze data in the Hive table"

A year later and I'm running into this issue, too! There seems to be some nuance that I'm missing about connecting to the cluster - although our authentication is set up to be a basic username and password. And we have no ports blocked to the cluster. What a headache!

I'm embarassed to say the "Gateway" issue is caused by disabling the Thrift servers in our cluster. We did this because our primary use cases are PySpark in nature and therefore do not require Thrift services. Re-enabling the Thrift server facilitates connection of PBI to the Spark cluster.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors