Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rjrn
Frequent Visitor

Problems while accessing Power BI dataset through Excel

I have a dataset in My Workspace stored in the Power BI cloud. It is working and refreshing fine, but I sync it to Excel using "Analyze in Excel".

I am facing 2 issues:

1. When I try to download the app "Analyze in Excel updates" I get a GERMAN version of the executable. It seems this is a bug already acknowledged >> http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Downloading-Analyze-in-Excel-app-is-in-G...

2. After I installed the SQL OLEDB app in the post above, I can download the .odc file from Power BI and open in Excel. But after login, I get the following error in Excel: "The following error occurred: (The operation completed successfully)." ....... and nothing happens. I cannot refresh the query, nothing...

Anybody facing this same issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@rjrn,

In my environment, I have got 1710 update. Please contact your system administrator that if the update is automatically released to your system.
1.JPG

Regarding to the workaround, do you use 32bit or 64bit Excel? Please check the detailed steps below.
1. Verify excel version - 32 bit or 64 bit. Go Excel -> Files -> Account -> About Excel

2. Go to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140" for 32-bit excel version or to: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX64\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140" for 64-bit excel version

3. Right click on the adal.dll -> Properties -> Details tab and check that the 'Product version' is 1.0.2044.0414 (this is the "bad" adal version)

4. Close all office applications

5. Rename the adal.dll file to adal_orig.dll

6. Download MSOLAP 7 from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/8/2/482E5799-9B8E-4724-8A4C-F301BAE788EE/13.0.3523.4/1033/x...

7. Go to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130" for 32-bit excel version or to: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130" for 64-bit version and copy the adal.dll to the location in step number 2

8. Go back to the location in step number 2 and check that the version of the adal.dll is now: 1.0.2028.318

9. Now try to open the odc file again and see if it works for you.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@rjrn,

For your second question, this is a known issue, please try the workaround below.

1.  Download MSOLAP 7 from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/8/2/482E5799-9B8E-4724-8A4C-F301BAE788EE/13.0.3523.4/1033/x...

2. Close all office applications

3. Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140 and rename the adal.dll to adal_orig.dll (if you have excel 64 bit use the version from Program Files)

4. Copy the adal.dll from here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130 to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140  (if you have excel 64 bit use the version from Program Files)

5. Open the odc file and see if it works for you.

Alternatively, you can update your Office to 1710 version.

There is a similar thread for your reference.
http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Analyze-in-excel-system-error/m-p/278325...

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

I did all the steps above and keep getting the same error.

Also, my Excel is version 1709, when I try to update it, it says "The latest version of Office is installed on your computer".

Any thoughts?

@rjrn,

In my environment, I have got 1710 update. Please contact your system administrator that if the update is automatically released to your system.
1.JPG

Regarding to the workaround, do you use 32bit or 64bit Excel? Please check the detailed steps below.
1. Verify excel version - 32 bit or 64 bit. Go Excel -> Files -> Account -> About Excel

2. Go to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140" for 32-bit excel version or to: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX64\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140" for 64-bit excel version

3. Right click on the adal.dll -> Properties -> Details tab and check that the 'Product version' is 1.0.2044.0414 (this is the "bad" adal version)

4. Close all office applications

5. Rename the adal.dll file to adal_orig.dll

6. Download MSOLAP 7 from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/8/2/482E5799-9B8E-4724-8A4C-F301BAE788EE/13.0.3523.4/1033/x...

7. Go to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130" for 32-bit excel version or to: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130" for 64-bit version and copy the adal.dll to the location in step number 2

8. Go back to the location in step number 2 and check that the version of the adal.dll is now: 1.0.2028.318

9. Now try to open the odc file again and see if it works for you.

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft

Lydia, it worked now! Thank you very much!! Smiley Very Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors