Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

juanca
Helper II
Helper II

Problems running On-Premise Gateway

Hi everyone,

I'm having serveral problems in order to have my connections up and running in PBI Service. I'll try to do my best in order to explain what happened to me step by step:

1. First of all I installed the On-Premise Gateway on my machine, when I tried to configure the Gateway in PBI Service I discovered that PostgreSQL connections were not possible with On-Premise Gateway...

2. To solve the previous situation, investigating I discovered this kind of connections where possible in the Personal Gateway. So, I unistalled On-Premise to install Personal, this was not easy because several logs and registers have to be manually cleant in order to go on... at the end I was able to complete Personal Gateway installation BUT not able to configure it.

3. On the other hand I discoverd how to transform my PostgreSQL connection into an ODBC one easily, so I turn my Personal Gateway into an On-Premise one again, this time without big problems.

4. When trying to configure my Gateway in Power BI Service all was ok (first picture below) but, when trying to refresh my data no Gateway was found (second picture below).

ODBC gateway connection.pngODBC gateway connection 2.png

5 (Here is where I'm right now).: I'm trying to troubleshoot this issue and I've been reading several articles, I think one of the possible problems I have is that the "Power BI Gateway Service" is not been executed on my machine, why?

- When I restart the computer and try to open the On-Premise PBI Gateway it doesn't run, it shows a message that says (it's a translation so it's not literal): "Make sure you On-Premise Data Gateway Service is being executed in your Control Service Panel"

- I don't have any register associated with the "On-Premises Data Gateway Service" in my Applications and Register Service (picture below)

Registro aplicaciones y servicios.png

- When I try to start the service via system command promt with the instruction "net start PBIEgwService" I've got a "System Error 5 - Access Denied" (see picture below):

Command Prompt Error.png

So, any idea about what's happening? Why I cannot start the "Power BI Gateway Service"?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help, any extra information you need do not hesitate to ask me.

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi everyone,

Just to help future readers.

I managed to solve the last problem, it was related with the ODBC string I was using in PBI Desktop vs PBI Service.

In a nutshell, I was giving a not necessary DataSourceName to my ODBC connection. So, be aware of the precission of the match between your connection strings.

Although the process has been difficult for me, at the end the output is ok, so I'll tag this post as solution.

Kind regards.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
juanca
Helper II
Helper II

Hi everyone,

Now I'm able to run the "On-Premises Data Gateway Service" executing the command prompt as an admin.

Unfortunately, the problem still exist, regardless I have the Gateway OK in the Manage Gateways screen:

ODBC gateway connection.png

When I try to schedule the refresh of my dataset it just appears the Personal Gateway option as Offline when I have a On-Premise Gateway installed...:

No On-Premise Gateway.png

I've tried to find the solution in documentation without success, even these tips are useless for me.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards.

@juanca

How you manage to get connected with on Premise Gateway i am facing the same issue.

Will please send me step for configuring the Gateway.

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Regards,

Satish Kumar

Hi everyone,

Just to help future readers.

I managed to solve the last problem, it was related with the ODBC string I was using in PBI Desktop vs PBI Service.

In a nutshell, I was giving a not necessary DataSourceName to my ODBC connection. So, be aware of the precission of the match between your connection strings.

Although the process has been difficult for me, at the end the output is ok, so I'll tag this post as solution.

Kind regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors