Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rlansing
Resolver I
Resolver I

Problems installing both gateways

Hello,
I am looking for some help with computer / domain configuration that may allow the installation of either gateway. I am running win 8.1 pro 64 bit (cannot upgrade due to another program's limitations). I have updated to the latest version of power bi and the gateway installer; however, I am receiving the following errors:
Personal gateway errors out at the setup page with:
Sequence divisive no elements.
Enterprise gateway errors out at the configuration page:
The profile for the user is a temporary profile.

Anyone experience these issues and have any recommendations? The account is a local admin and I have tried installing with administrator privileges and without, the result is the same. I have also deleted as many files and one registry key that I could find that were left over after uninstallation.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Bobby
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The enterprise gateway could not install, because the PBIEgwService user was not being installed properly due to a bad previous install / uninstall. I manually deleted the User folder and the registry keys for this user and reattempted the install. I finally installed the enterprise gateway and then connected the datasets to it. Originally, I had some issues connecting the gateway, but I found the issue was that I needed to add every data connection (folders, files, and even an Azure SQL connection) to the gateway. Once they were all added, I could assign the data set to the gateway and refresh!

I still cannot install the personal gateway, but it is no issue now. I will use the enterpise gateway moving forward.

Thank you for your help!

Bobby

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rlansing,

Could you please post detailed setup log of gateway for analysis? You can go to your Temp folder (%temp%) and looking for files like: Power_BI_Gateway_*.log, for more details, please review this article.

In addition, regarding to the error messages you mentioned, there are some proposals for you troubleshooting them.

1. Check if you can install other MSI packages in your current machine. If not, the issue could be due to that you install update 2918614 in Windows 8.1, you can install the hotfix described in this KB article, then install gateway again.
2. If you are able to  install other MSI packages, the above error message could be caused by that the gateway is not uninstalled completely or that there are some issues with your account. Please use CCleaner to uninstall gateway(also delete gateway folder under C:\Program Files), use other account such as domain admin to sign in your machine and install gateway again.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Lydia,

Thank yor for the response! I will send the contents of all four applicable log files to you in a message as they are too large to post here.

With regards to the hotfix, I tried to install, but it said it is not applicable (I think meaning it is already installed). I have all Win 8.1 Pro updates installed. I have tried to uninstall with CCleaner, clean the registry, delete the folders and reinstall with the current account. I will try the same as a domain admin, but that will take some time as that is not my account.

Thank you!

Here is the error as copied from the Event viewer when trying to run the configurator after install:

Error from PersonalGatewayConfigurator, exception: Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.UpdateServiceUserException: Failed to update Windows service user ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.ConfiguratorWorkflowSteps.GetServiceStartupType()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.ConfiguratorWorkflowSteps.GetServiceStartupType()
   at Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.ConfiguratorWorkflowSteps.StartService()
   at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIPersonalGatewayConfigurator.MainViewModel.<GetIsConfiguredAsync>b__7()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIPersonalGatewayConfigurator.MainViewModel.<GetIsConfiguredAsync>d__8.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIPersonalGatewayConfigurator.NotifyTaskCompletion`1.<WatchTaskAsync>d__0.MoveNext().

The enterprise gateway could not install, because the PBIEgwService user was not being installed properly due to a bad previous install / uninstall. I manually deleted the User folder and the registry keys for this user and reattempted the install. I finally installed the enterprise gateway and then connected the datasets to it. Originally, I had some issues connecting the gateway, but I found the issue was that I needed to add every data connection (folders, files, and even an Azure SQL connection) to the gateway. Once they were all added, I could assign the data set to the gateway and refresh!

I still cannot install the personal gateway, but it is no issue now. I will use the enterpise gateway moving forward.

Thank you for your help!

Bobby

I had the same issue. Followed the description here on how to delete the registry entries of the user:

https://superuser.com/questions/63017/how-do-i-delete-a-user-profile-on-a-windows-7-machine-that-is-...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors