Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Print the column values with multiple times like concatenate

R_P_0-1594960571799.png

Hi there, 

I am looking for the output similar to one above using either Power Query or DAX.

Cheers,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

this code dynamically applies logic to all columns subsequent to the first.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTICYgOlWJ1oMMsYzoOwdJRMwDwTKM8YzDOFqjRSio0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [key = _t, ABC = _t, XYZ = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ABC", Int64.Type}, {"XYZ", Int64.Type}}),
    cols=Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"),
    nCols=List.Count(cols),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "out", (r)=>
       Text.AfterDelimiter( Text.Combine(List.Transform({1..nCols-1}, (c)=> Text.Repeat(":|"&cols{c},Record.FieldValues(r){c}) )),":|"))

in
    #"Added Custom"

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft 

I have found a solution for the same in DAX and it works well.

Cheers,

Rutika

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTICYgOlWJ1oMMsYzoOwdJRMwDwTKM9YKTYWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [key = _t, ABC = _t, XYZ = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ABC", Int64.Type}, {"XYZ", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "out", each Text.AfterDelimiter(Text.Repeat(":|ABC",[ABC]) &Text.Repeat(":|XYZ",[XYZ]),":|"))
in
    #"Added Custom"

if you don't need a more general solution that doesn't rigidly depend on the name of the columns,
an unclear point for me is the fact that only a few lines must have text. but it is not explained which or by what criteria to choose

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

the logic is it should be based on the value present in the respective column, if it is 0 then no need to display concatenate value.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"the logic is it should be based on the value present in the respective column, if it is 0 then no need to display concatenate value."

why, then, is the second line empty?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous 

It is just an example created for understanding but it should have displayed the output as "ABC:|ABC:|ABC

Cheers,

R

Anonymous
Not applicable

this code dynamically applies logic to all columns subsequent to the first.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTICYgOlWJ1oMMsYzoOwdJRMwDwTKM8YzDOFqjRSio0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [key = _t, ABC = _t, XYZ = _t]),
    cols=Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"),
    nCols=List.Count(cols),

Text.AfterDelimiter( Text.Combine(List.Transform({1..nCols-1}, (c)=> Text.Repeat(":|"&cols{c},Record.FieldValues(r){c}) )),":|"))

in
    #"Added Custom"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous i will try it and see if it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous The source table is from SQL DB, will the above code work for same?

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you use direct query mode or import mode?

If it is direct query, maybe some functions don't work.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft 

I have found a solution for the same in DAX and it works well.

Cheers,

Rutika

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know all the different ways PBI loads data from different prigines. It is only recently that I started using power queries to do some things I previously did in Excel. For now I have only experienced with data loaded from csv or excel files.

That said, I can't imagine why, once loaded into PBI, a table should behave differently depending on its origin.

Therefore I believe the above code works (or doesn't work) the same way for SQL tables or other sources.

you should just append the following code after your code that loads the SQL data, relabeling last step tableSQL or changing tableSQL to match the label of your last step.

cols=Table.ColumnNames(tableSQL),
    nCols=List.Count(cols),

in
    #"Added Custom"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors