Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Powerquery: replace blanks and dates in past with a future date

Hi there

I am trying to replace null values with a date in the future (30/12/22) and dates in the past ie. before today with a date in the future (31/12/22). Replacing null values is straightforward but replacing dates in the past is confusing me. I would really appreciate some advice on a solution!

Here is what I have:

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Table1_Table,null,#date(2022, 12, 30),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Forecast"}),

#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value",each[Forecast],each if [Forecast] < DateTime.FixedLocalNow() then #date(2022,12,31) else [Forecast],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Forecast"})

Many thanks!

Replace future dates by today date 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jeroendekk
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @Anonymous 
I think your forecast date is probably a date not a datetime. Which mean the comparing it to DateTime.FixedLocalNow() will not work (they need matching datatypes. You could solve this with a Date.From function you could also get both steps in one.

#"Replace Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(
    #"Table1_Table", 
    each [Forecast], 
    each 
      if [Forecast] < Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()) or [Forecast] = null then
        #date(2022, 12, 31)
      else
        [Forecast], 
    Replacer.ReplaceValue, 
    {"Forecast"}
  )

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

Best regards,
Jeroen

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks Jeroen, your advice to introduce a Date.From function worked. I kept my steps seperate in the end as it was a simple fix. 

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",null,#date(2021, 12, 31),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Forecast"}),

#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value",each[Forecast],each if [Forecast] < Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()) then #date(2022,12,30) else [Forecast],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Forecast"}),

Regards

Matt

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Instead of Table.ReplaceValue, you could also try Table.Transform.

Table.TransformColumns(
    Table1_Table,
    {
    "Forecast",
        each if _ = null then #date(2022, 12, 30)
        else if _ > Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()) then #date(2022, 12, 31)
        else if _ < Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()) then #date(2022, 12, 30)
        else _
    }
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Like your solution. Only aspect that isn't working is for dates in the future, these should be the [Forecast] value. I tried adjusting your code but no luck! Suspect it would be a simple fix.

If you want the [Forecast] value, then use _ instead of #date(2022, 12, 31).

jeroendekk
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @Anonymous 
I think your forecast date is probably a date not a datetime. Which mean the comparing it to DateTime.FixedLocalNow() will not work (they need matching datatypes. You could solve this with a Date.From function you could also get both steps in one.

#"Replace Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(
    #"Table1_Table", 
    each [Forecast], 
    each 
      if [Forecast] < Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()) or [Forecast] = null then
        #date(2022, 12, 31)
      else
        [Forecast], 
    Replacer.ReplaceValue, 
    {"Forecast"}
  )

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

Best regards,
Jeroen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks Jeroen, your advice to introduce a Date.From function worked. I kept my steps seperate in the end as it was a simple fix. 

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",null,#date(2021, 12, 31),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Forecast"}),

#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value",each[Forecast],each if [Forecast] < Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()) then #date(2022,12,30) else [Forecast],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Forecast"}),

Regards

Matt

Use coalesce operator to simplify further more,

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type", each [Forecast], each if ([Forecast]??Date.From(0)) < Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()) then #date(2022,12,31) else [Forecast], Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"Forecast"})

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors