Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarlonK
Helper I
Helper I

PowerQuery removes nullable binary field when saving data flow, making full folder load impossible

I have created a dataflow on PBI service that connects to a SharePoint folder, with the intention of having it grab all the CSV files in the folder. Everything looks good initially, I can see the CSV files, and the "Content" column is there on the far left:

MarlonK_0-1608750803848.png

After I hit Save & Close however, Power Query adds a remove step that get's rid of this column, so I cannot see it in Power BI Desktop:

MarlonK_1-1608750945733.png

I was hoping to load this dataflow in desktop multiple times, and then grab individual CSVs from it based on date, but with the content column removed, I cannot expand a CSV into a table in desktop. Is there any way around this? I was hoping to not have to create multiple dataflows for each CSV I want to grab.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@MarlonK 

I have experienced the same issue and expanded the Binary column in the Dataflow itself then connected from Desktop.

If my answer was helpful, please click Accept it as the solution to help other members find it useful

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

Website YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ama

I'm having the same issues currently, what would be a workaround for this?

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Computed entities are saved as CSV files in data lake storage, so binary values aren't going to be supported 

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@MarlonK 

I have experienced the same issue and expanded the Binary column in the Dataflow itself then connected from Desktop.

If my answer was helpful, please click Accept it as the solution to help other members find it useful

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

Website YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Can you elaborate on this solution? I am not familiar with what you mean by "Expand the binary colum in the dataflow". 
My thought was to use a view on the source system and conver the binary to varchar.

Might be kind-of late, but I had the same problem and derived the answer from @Fowmy response. What he means is to click on the [Binary] column of the row (csv file) that you want so the [Binary] field is not returned by the dataflow. If you have a query to gets the list of files and then other queries that reference that list, you can instruct the dataflow to not load the query that gets the list. You do this by right clicking on the query that contains the [Binary] content and unselect the Enable Load option. Bottom line is the dataflow will not allow you to return a binary data type out of your dataflow.

Yeah, that seems to be the only choice. 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarlonK ,

This is casued by this warning:

complex types.JPG

warning.gif

Based on my test, after you choose "save & close", it automatically deletes these columns with complex types.

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors