Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ngct1112
Post Patron
Post Patron

PowerQuery - Text before multiple Delimiters

Hi,

May I know is there any way I could split text before multiple Delimiters in one function?

Original ColumnDesired Result
1 & 51
50 - 100050
1000/20001000
2000&50002000
5000/100005000

Great thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Add a step to extract the text before one of those delimiters, and then modify the code in the formula bar to look like this

= Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"Column1", each Text.Start(_, Text.PositionOfAny(_, {"&", "/", "-"})), type text}})

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ngct1112
Post Patron
Post Patron

@mahoneypat it works in my query. Very brilliant. Thanks for your help!

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Add a step to extract the text before one of those delimiters, and then modify the code in the formula bar to look like this

= Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"Column1", each Text.Start(_, Text.PositionOfAny(_, {"&", "/", "-"})), type text}})

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

@mahoneypat ,

Two follow-on questions:

1. How might I add null handling? It seems that Power Query returns an error if it doesn't find any of the specific delimiters.
  2. How would I extract the text after the first space OR after the first "-"? I used Text.Middle instead of Text.Start which works for the space, but still includes the "-" in the extracted text. 

Thank you,

-Travis

how can this be done with a multiple character string?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors