Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

PowerBI refresh fail - Expression Error.

Hate it when the first post is a question but I am stumped.

I am unable to refresh my powerbi data online since the last update. Have checked and made sure my personal gateway is up and working. Other Datasets working ok as well.

Have one dataset that is reporting an error

Data Source Error: [Expression Error] The name 'Table.TransformColumnNames' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

2015-09-25 16_13_09-Power BI.jpg

Cheers in advance for any suggestions

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
kbrown

Just letting everyone know, this issue resolved itself when I installed the new version of the Power BI Personal Gateway. After installing the new version, I was able to refresh those problematic data sources. 

View solution in original post

Hi @raulbm - with  the October update out yesterday perhaps a good time to try it again. A new version might help.

Good luck

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
kbrown

Just letting everyone know, this issue resolved itself when I installed the new version of the Power BI Personal Gateway. After installing the new version, I was able to refresh those problematic data sources. 

I've followed all steps (update powerBIGateway and PowerBI Desktop), deleted datasource in powerbi.com, upload again pbix file to powerbi.com however when I try to refresh always receive the afore mentionend error.

[Expression error] The name 'Table.TransformColumnNames' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

Anyone have new ideas? I'm desperate 😉

Thanks

Seems there is a whole new version of the gateway out
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2015/10/22/new-version-of-personal-gateway-is-now-live.aspx

hopefully that will fix it for you.

This fixes it for me!!!

Hi @raulbm - with  the October update out yesterday perhaps a good time to try it again. A new version might help.

Good luck

Wow. Thanks @kbrown - thanks for the solution - guess I should have tried this before changing all my reports. Great to have it up and fixed though. Solution worked for me as well. Smiley Very Happy

kbrown

I am getting the same error ever since I downloaded the new version of Power BI Desktop. 

WVonk
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same error on a collumn that was renamend in the dataset. Although the collumn was renamed last weekend so not exactly sure if it has something to do with the Power BI Desktop september update. 

elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Great to hear that someone else having the same issue - glad its not just me.

I have been playing with this all day and still getting the error. Things I have tried but still getting the error

• Deleted links to some databases in my BI file - reuploaded still getting error
  • Removed any formatting or query changes to databases - just the raw data and no calculated fields.
  • tried on different BI files - am getting it on all now.
  • Created a whole new BI file and uploaded it - getting the error on this.

Guess I keep trying.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors