Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LucasLaumans

PowerBI linked to SharePoint Lists

Dear all,

I am looking for a solution to create PowerBI Dashboards for processes managed via SharePoint lists. We know about the possiblity to link via PowerQuery in Excel and hence via the PowerBI Desktop solution, but this faces us with 2 problems.1.) We use Managed Meta-data (TermStore) data in our lists and it appears that PowerQuery cannot deal with this type of data. 2.) Refresh on the lists does not appear to work  and is currently only available on a daily schedule. Ideally the refresh should be hourly. The refresh does not seem to work because eventhough I select OAuth2 authentication in the refresh menu and provide my credentials, the refresh is saved as "anonymous login". It appears my settings are not stored.

Looking forward to hear if someone has found a clever solution to these problems, or when a fix is expected.

Regards,

Lucas Laumans

8 REPLIES 8
Grumelo
Advocate II
Advocate II

Did you try top get the data thanks to the OData connector ?

/<site URL>/_vti_bin/listdata.svc/<list name>

I don't like the Sharepoint connector because you have to first browse the lists list befaore going tpo the list you are interested in.

jesper_bergmann
Regular Visitor

Hi Lucas

We are experiencing the same issue with managed metadata not being available in Power BI. Did you find a solution to this?

Best regards

Jesper Bergmann

Youssef
Employee
Employee

Thanks for reporting this issue. The authentication reverting to anonymous seems to be an issue that some users are experiencing. I created a ticket for the team to investigate.

Thank you for your patience.

Youssef

Youssef Shoukry
Product Manager, Power BI
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today is 6/6/2016, and with the latest Power BI, both of these issues still exist. Any reprieve from this would greatly enhance the appeal of Power BI as the users are looking for seamless integration from two Microsoft cloud solutions (o365 Sharepoint and Power BI).

Thank you.

Is there an update on a resolution to getting automatic data refresh to work with SharePoint lists for Power BI? It still does not seem to be working.

Hi,

Seems like I am not only having this issue, daily refresh works for me. But is there any workaround or fix for MMD value? Currently I can't show MMD value in my Power BI report. 

Please share your thought. 

We are also having the exact same issue with PowerBI and SharePoint Lists and trying to create a refresh schedule.  oAuth2 authentication doesn't seem to stick.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Glad to see someone else is having that issue with SharePoint Online lists and refresh, I'm having the same exact problem. Not sure about the mananged metadata issues and how to get around them, but there is a hacky way to get your data refreshed, basically create a macro to do a refresh all when your Excel file is opened and then save and close it, create a scheduled task to run it every hour.  Not pretty, but would solve that refresh problem but then you'd have to find a way to automatically upload it to Power BI I guess.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors