Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gramchandra

PowerBI desktop - using different connection methods to database in the same pbix file

Using Get Data option, I selected a SQL Server and set it to 'Import'.  I selected one table in the database for this connection. I connect again to the another SQL Server and want to set it to "Direct Query". It is not being allowed. The "Direct Query" option is greyed out. Is this normal? Wouldn't it be advantageous to have different connection types in the same data model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@gramchandra The behavior is by design. Either your entire model is Direct Query, or import. There is no mix and match of connection types.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@gramchandra The behavior is by design. Either your entire model is Direct Query, or import. There is no mix and match of connection types.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the response. I wish PowerBI allows this feature in the future.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors