Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LegendaryTokash
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI DirectQuery and Salesforce

Hello all,

So I have a collection of data I'd like to configure into a report with directquery mode, and publish to the web service whereas all of the datasources will refresh when the web interfacve refresh button is clicked.   Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as though I can do it natively.

Source 1 - Azure SQL DB with some data, directquery is natively supported

Source 2 - Salesforce report, when I try to add this source it balks that DQ is not supported and all sources in the report now need to change to import. 

Import isn't the end of the world, but it sure would be nice to avoid that.   I'm curious if this a challenge others have faced?   I haven't dug into the on-premise data gateway yet, but was wondering if that would serve my needs better or would hit the same limitation, requiring a scheduled (or manual) refresh.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@LegendaryTokash,

In DirectQuery mode, all tables should come from same data source and a single database, please check the limitations here.

In your scenario, as you combine multiple data sources in a single PBIX file, you can only use import mode. Besides, as you are connecting to online data sources, gateway is not required to refresh your dataset in Power BI Service. Just enter credentials for your data sources under "Data Source Credentials" in Power BI Service, and you will be able to set schedule refresh for your dataset.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@LegendaryTokash,

In DirectQuery mode, all tables should come from same data source and a single database, please check the limitations here.

In your scenario, as you combine multiple data sources in a single PBIX file, you can only use import mode. Besides, as you are connecting to online data sources, gateway is not required to refresh your dataset in Power BI Service. Just enter credentials for your data sources under "Data Source Credentials" in Power BI Service, and you will be able to set schedule refresh for your dataset.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi There,

Can you please help me, I want to connect My Power Bi file to salesforce Objects, But when i connected it the PBI file size increases to ~300 MBs resulting in slow performance and very slow runrate.

Is there anyway to use DirectQuery instead of Importing Data? Please suugest me if you have any solution.

Regards,
Shivam

Just checking in to see how you resolved your Salesforce connection - have you tried using Power Query Editor to limit the number of fields you bring into PBI?  You can also remove rows based on a filter.  Together, they speed up refreshes

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors