Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

drullman

PowerApps Connected to Excel in One Drive

Hi,

I have a PowerApp that is used to input and update information that is stored in and Excel file on One Drive for Business.  Because I could not have formulas in the Excel table PowerApps accesses I added a second sheet that pulls data from the sheet connected to PowerApps with other formulas to update.  My issue is that when user updates data with PowerApps I don't think the second table gets updated - my PowerBI actually refreshed to no results when I refresh without opening the Excel.  Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks,

Dan

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@drullman,

Which Excel sheet do you connect to in Power BI? How do you connect to the Excel sheet in Power BI, directly in Power BI Service or using Power BI Desktop?

What is your expected refresh result in Power BI?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for responding.  SheetA is basically the input from PowerApps and is just a table of text and values.  SheetB is a table that is connected to PowerB and is formulas to SheetA and formulas and calculations and vlookups to other sheets.  Excel file is in my One Drive for Business and Sheet B is connected to PowerBI through web connector so it can update on the Power BI Service without a gateway.  I built this in PowerBI Desktop and published to the service.  In a perfect world, I would want the user to input data in PowerApps which would update SheetA table - this is happening.  Then I would like this to push data into SheetB table and have this table updated based on the submitted data - this I have not figured out yet as to have the Excel update I am thinking I could use RPA but that seems pretty heavy, or flow potentially to move data (not sure if this is possible).  Then I would prefer to trigger a refresh but I can schedule it to update a couple times a day in Power BI.

My expected result is to have the inputed data update to SheetB and update in PowerBI without manually having to open Excel and save the file.  I have not been able to move all the logic from Excel successfully to PowerBI so wondering if this is something that is possible or it could be an Excel limitation?

Thanks,

Dan

@drullman,

On Power BI side, when you set schedule refresh for the dataset in Power BI Service, Power BI report will get updated based on refresh schedule once the data is changed in your source excel file.

What you should make sure is that the data in excel source file is changed properly. For the PowerApp issues, I would recommend you post questions in PowerApp forum to get better support.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors