Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lognvik
Frequent Visitor

Power query not displaying tables

Quite a few times I have this issue with the tables not displaying when I open Power Query. No logic to why. I try killing off Power BI, I try reboot.

Is this just normal unstability or am I the only one having this issue?

I just got the tables up now, after almost 24 hours. Howevere, there is no pattern of which datasets/pbix that does this.

My pc is I9 and 32GB, running Windows 10 pro and is new. Had the same issue on my older pc.

10 REPLIES 10
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lognvik ,

1. Try to load data firstly in Power BI Desktop and then click "Transform" to go into Power Query.

2.Did you try to get a simple excel file instead to see if same error occurs?

3.How about right-click the blank field in Power Query and create a New blank query?

4.Is your PBI the latest version? 

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

1. First thing I do

2. No

3. I will try that

4. Yes, latest version

This just happens on a close to regular basis. Very strange that it only happens to me. Has happened on 3 different desktops. I'm starting to suspect security issues or firewall blocking access. The queries are mainly sql and d365 sales, accompanied with 1 sharepoint-excel

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Are you trying to load DAX calculated tables in Power Query? These aren't intended to show up in the query editor.

No. Just straightforward tables from sql

OK. What do you mean by "not displaying" exactly? Are the queries showing up but when you click on them the table is empty or do the queries appear to be missing entirely or what?

No tables/queries displaying on the left hand side... So just a big blank canvas. Nothing on the left hand side and then of course blank on the datapart

Hmm. That's strange. I don't know why that would be the case unless the tables came from a connection to an SSAS cube.

Beyond the standard advice of upgrading to the latest version of Power BI Desktop and rebooting, I don't know what to suggest.

I'm unsure too. It happens fairly regularly to several of my reports. The last one only contained sql queries from one and the same server. Same office tenant... 

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @lognvik ,

When Power Query isn't displaying your tables, is there a little stream of yellow dots tracking across the window right above the formula bar?

If yes, then PQ is trying to load your previews and is taking a long time.

I would suggest, in the first instance, to go to File > Options & Settings > Options > CURRENT FILE > Data Load and switch this off:

BA_Pete_0-1642590084941.png

If it's greyed-out like mine, then go to ~ GLOBAL > Data Load and adjust this:

BA_Pete_1-1642590151544.png

This will control how/when PQ downloads your previews. If you change it to never, only the table/query you are looking at will download, so should be significantly faster to view in isolation. However, it also means that when you click on the next query, you will have to wait for that one to download before you can view it, and so on.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

No, the refresh runs and finishes. When it's done, the tables are still not displaying.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors