Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

amanuit
Regular Visitor

Power query editor-Add column

Hello,

I am very new to power BI.

I am trying to add a conditional column and in condition, I want to compare a column with "."  or any text but i am getting error and it is asking to provide number number.

Does it compare only numbers?

or the column which i have selected is number then i how can i convert it into text, another question if i convert it into text then will it impact on dashboard?

3 REPLIES 3
KNP
Super User
Super User

An alternative approach for comparing number and text types would be to add Text.From() to the number column.

e.g.

KNP_0-1659379659825.png

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x
amanuit
Regular Visitor

Thank you for reply

jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - the columns you are comparing need to be of the same data type.  If you change the actual type of the column it could have subsequent negative consequences.  For example, if you convert a number to text and you are later summing that number, the sum function will fail because it is text.  If you need to compare a number to text, you can add a column that compares the text value of another column to the comparison text.  That way your original value is not impacted.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors