Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mlozano
Helper II
Helper II

Power query dynamic filter error

I am trying to create a dynamic filter with power query parameters, my data source is an Azure SQL database, the intention is to be able to filter the data by region dynamically from the report view.

I have the following code:

let
SelectedRegion = if Type.Is(Value.Type(RegionSelected), List.Type) then
Text.Combine({"'", Text.Combine(RegionSelected, "','"), "'"})
else
Text.Combine({"'", RegionSelected, "'"}),
selectAll = if Type.Is(Value.Type(RegionSelected), List.Type) then
List.Contains(RegionSelected, "_SelectAll_")
else
false,
query = "
SELECT * FROM abi_financial_maz_rpt.profit_loss_last_estimated_pe_rpt",
dynamicfilter = if selectAll then " "
else Text.Combine({" WHERE region_name in(", SelectedRegion, ")"}),
finalQuery = Text.Combine({query,dynamicfilter}),
Source = Sql.Database("edhazurencertdmgbqa.database.windows.net", "edhazurencertdmgbqa", [Query=finalQuery])
in
Source

Whenever I run my code from the power query advanced editor, my output is as follows

Formula.Firewall: The query 'Query 5' (step 'Source') references other queries or steps, so it cannot directly access the data source. Regenerate this data combination.*

*The security level is at none.

I also tried the following code but the error is the same

Sql.Database("edhazurencertdmgbqa.database.windows.net", "edhazurencertdmgbqa", [Query="SELECT * FROM abi_financial_maz_rpt.profit_loss_last_estimated_pe_rpt WHERE region_name = '"&RegionSelected&"'"])

The parameter is based on a list that was built with the region column:

mlozano_1-1654744085609.png

mlozano_2-1654744099551.png

mlozano_0-1654744062642.png

Does anyone know how I can fix it or why it happens?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mlozano ,

This is because your Region query are sourced from other data sources or the same data source, causing the Power Query firewall error, please go to Options -> Privacy, and disable privacy.

vkkfmsft_1-1655090761931.png

vkkfmsft_0-1655089654369.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mlozano ,

This is because your Region query are sourced from other data sources or the same data source, causing the Power Query firewall error, please go to Options -> Privacy, and disable privacy.

vkkfmsft_1-1655090761931.png

vkkfmsft_0-1655089654369.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors