Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rudz
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Power Query window issues with multiple monitors

I don't know if this is the right place to ask about PQ in Excel, but maybe some of you have encountered this.

I am using my laptop with 2 external monitors:

1) Laptop = 1920x1080 Scale 150% Primary monitor

2) Monitor = 1920x1080 Scale 100%

3) Monitor = 1366x768 Scale 100%

All of the above are the recommended settings for each screen.

When I open Power Query on one of the external monitors, often the window is unusable, looking something like this:

Rudz_1-1606320067621.png

There will be big black boxes and large blank areas. Notice the right pane and bottom status bar are missing.

Other times the PQ window is mostly good, but popup windows are unreadable unless I drag them to the laptop screen. I just tried setting the scaling to 100% on all monitors and making the external monitor primary and restarted Excel, and it's worse. Normally the laptop monitor always works and now it's not working even there. I also tried removing monitor 3 and it's still a mess.

I work with 3 monitors all day every day, and Power Query is the only app I use with this problem. Any ideas how to resolve this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Rudz 

I am unable to reproduce your scenario. I'd like to suggest you create a support ticket here for further help.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

MichaVino
Regular Visitor

I found a working solution here: https://contexturesblog.com/archives/2020/10/01/excel-looks-strange-on-second-monitor/?unapproved=14...

The solution for PQ in Excel is to change an Excel setting: I am not sure what the setting is called exactly in english, my Excel speaks german, but ther is a setting in the general settings right on the top "when using several displays" optimize for appearance or otimize for compatibility. 

Set the setting to optimized for compatibility and it works!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mblichowski
Frequent Visitor

Hi, for me the solution was to change the primary screen from laptop's screen to one of the to monitors. PQ displays correctly now on both monitors but now it doesn't displays on laptop's screen (that's fine for me).

MichaVino
Regular Visitor

I found a working solution here: https://contexturesblog.com/archives/2020/10/01/excel-looks-strange-on-second-monitor/?unapproved=14...

The solution for PQ in Excel is to change an Excel setting: I am not sure what the setting is called exactly in english, my Excel speaks german, but ther is a setting in the general settings right on the top "when using several displays" optimize for appearance or otimize for compatibility. 

Set the setting to optimized for compatibility and it works!

Thank you so much! It looks good so far. This problem comes and goes for me. I'm hoping it's gone for good now!

Rudz_0-1676579940490.png

michaelsh
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

@Rudz 

Same here. Did you manage to solve it?

I opened a ticket (23091893). Support had me try running Repair on Office but I had all kinds of weird errors on it and also using the Support and Recovery Assistant. Then we updated my video driver and I reinstalled Office and the problem went away. The video driver made more sense as the culprit, but we had a lot of weird errors with the Office install so who knows. It was fixed for a time and then broke again but I didn't bother reopening the ticket. I have a new laptop now and I don't think I've had any issues on it. Good luck!

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Rudz 

I am unable to reproduce your scenario. I'd like to suggest you create a support ticket here for further help.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors