Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

__BigDaddy
Frequent Visitor

Power Query - transform a column of value in two columns of all couple of values

Dear all,

I have a need and did not find a solution. 
let's say I have Family of product, each of them contains a population of items.
I must calculate the % of common items between each family. I'd like to represent it under a triangle matrix with the Family list on both dimensions.

For this I am thinking about create a table of Family couple and then create a calculated row in PBI to count my common items; Is it possible to do this in power query? I tried with duplicate column, unpivoting, transposed, but cannot find a solution.
Here is an illustration: 

The current table :

Family 

A

B

C

The expected couple table :
Family_1    Family_2

A               A

A               B

A               C

B               A

B               B

B               C

C               A

C               B

C               C

Thanks a lot,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test (later on when you use the query on your dataset, you will have to change the source appropriately.)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclSK1YlWcgKTzkqxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Family = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Source[Family]),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom")
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
__BigDaddy
Frequent Visitor

Worked very well, 

Thanks again @Vijay_A_Verma

Have a nice day

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test (later on when you use the query on your dataset, you will have to change the source appropriately.)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclSK1YlWcgKTzkqxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Family = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Source[Family]),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom")
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors