Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Murderface_
Regular Visitor

Power Query time format '37:30:55' bug

Hello! I encountered the following problem when working in PQ with data in the format '37: 30: 55 '. If you try to retrieve data in this format using Excel.Workbook, the data may be incorrect. Please see an Example.

The table has 2 rows and time and number columns. The values ​​in the first row are greater than the second in both columns. But if you connect to the file using Excel.Workbook (see query Time in Example.), then the data in the second row of the time column will be larger, which is incorrect.

How can I solve this problem?

3 REPLIES 3
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Murderface_ ,

Actually, this is a bug in Excel about leap year.

You could refer to this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_1900_problem

Microsoft Excel (using the default 1900 Date System) cannot display dates before the year 1900, although this is not due to a two-digit integer being used to represent the year: Excel uses a floating-point number to store dates and times. The number 1.0 represents January 1, 1900, in the 1900 Date System, or January 1, 1904, in the 1904 Date System and was the default for Macintosh prior to Excel 2016. Numbers smaller than this display as a #VALUE! error.
For compatibility with Lotus 1-2-3, the 1900 Date System incorrectly accepts February 29, 1900, however, 1900 was not a leap year.

So there isn't a "02/29/1900" date, because 1900 is not a leap year. 

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Good day! I know about the problem of 1900, then in my case we are talking about time in the format '37: 30: 55 ', and PQ treats it as a date and if this date is 29 feb 1900, then I lose 24 hours.
Murderface_
Regular Visitor

The problem is that the time is 1440: 00: 00 in numerical format = 60, and in the date and time format it is 29 feb 1900, but in PQ this date is interpreted as 01 mar 1900 and the difference is 24 hours.

How can I solve this problem?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors