Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

justinh
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Power Query taking forever to perform even simple steps

All, 

My Power Query is taking forever to perform simple tasks. In the screenshot below, it is trying to create a date by first pulling the min year from a list of years. That list of years is a simple query itself that uses Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()) and creates a list. 

For this particular value, there are no databases and no excel files involved, just DateTime.LocalNow() and math. The yellow dots just keep scrolling for minutes on end. I've cleared all 3 caches. I've restarted my machine. I don't know what else to do. 

This file has a lot of queries and they are all taking forever. I just chose this one to illustrate how even simple queries are taking a long time. 

Please help. Any advice or tips?

Thank you, 

-Justin

Yellow Dots for minutes on end for a simple query.Yellow Dots for minutes on end for a simple query.

7 REPLIES 7
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @justinh ,

You can try to use Buffer() funtion to optimize your previous query like Table.buffer(), List.buffer().

Please refer: 

1. Table.Buffer 
  2. List.Buffer 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

smpa01
Super User
Super User

@justinhplease untick the following and try

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs

Thank you, but that did not help. I already had all but the "Background Data" option unchecked, and unchecking that one did not do anything. 

Also, I should note, my CPU is running at 100% the whole time, with PBI accounting for 75% of that, and within PBI there are 3 instances of "Microsoft Masup Evaluation Container" each taking about 25%.

@justinhList.Generate has perfomance issue and I gfaced that too Are you pulling the background table from SQL, if yes, you can run theloop there, would be faster.

Unfortunetly, it looks like there is something borked with this file. I created a brand new PBIX file and wrote the same Date.Year(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()) in both. New file gave me the result instantly, old file is still spinning its wheels. 

justinh_0-1612215516265.png

@justinhglad it worked out for you !!!

It hasn't worked out quite yet. I really don't want to have to start over with a new file. 

Thank you for your time, though. I appreciate it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors