Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query refresh

Hi,

Im currently having issues with refreshing a query. Anytime i close the workbook and make the query for the first time, it takes approximately 35-45 seconds to complete the query. Refreshing however takes forever (the query hasnt finished in 3-4minutes)

The data itself is very small, 200-1000 rows and 15 columns. Functions made by the query includes conditional columns, indexed "dynamic" conditional columns and 4 merges with a dataset that is approx 1000 rows.

I understand that the index-based dynamic conditional columns and mergers slow down the query, but why does the first query work but it doesnt refresh? The workbook also contains other queries, so if i make any of the other queries, this one doesnt work.

Solutions?

2 REPLIES 2
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

please could you post your PowerQuery query? It should help to find a source of the problem.

As @Anonymous mentioned it could be caching in the preview in the PowerQuery Editor. Have you tried to refresh the preview?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm not an expert at this, but take a look at this article: http://www.marcopozzan.it/2019/04/how-power-query-cache-works_2.html

I guess that the data for the initial load is loaded from cache. Refreshing it causes the query to fetch all the data again (not from cache), resulting in a longer loading time.

To make this clear again: this is a guess, I am not sure about this, but it does make sense this way.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors