Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

redwards59
Frequent Visitor

Power Query parameters to change source settings

I have a Power BI model where I have setup parameters of SourcePlatform(Oracle,SQL Server), ServerName, ServiceName(for Oracle), and DatabaseName. I have defined a query for SourceConnection as follows:

let

SourceConnection =
if SourcePlatform = "ORACLE"
then

let

Source = Oracle.Database("(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST="&ServerName&")(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME="&ServiceName&")))", [HierarchicalNavigation=true])

in Source

else

let

Source = Sql.Database(ServerName,DatabaseName)
in
Source

in
SourceConnection

3 REPLIES 3
redwards59
Frequent Visitor

Here is the rest of the post.

I then use SourceConnection in my data queries as follows:

let
BIQL_TbCalendar =
if SourcePlatform = "ORACLE"
then

let

BIQL = SourceConnection{[Schema="BIQL"]}[Data],
result = BIQL{[Name="TBCALENDAR"]}[Data]

in result

else

let

result = SourceConnection{[Schema="BIQL",Item="TbCalendar"]}[Data]

in result

in
BIQL_TbCalendar

This works fine when I switch from SQL Server to Oracle, but when I switch to a different servername on SQL Server other than the one setup originally, Power Query throws a cannot authrnticate with the current credentials. I can access the same server through SSMS with my Windows credentials so I am not sure why it shouldn't work here. 

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @redwards59 

I see the code uses the same parameters of "datebase name" and "server name" for the two connection-Oracle and SQL Server.

Please ensure the parameters of "datebase name" and "server name" are set correctly for both connection.

Make a test to check if changing server name of SQL Server works in Power BI:

Don't use complex code as you provide above, just create parameter for SQL Server  and use it in the connection string or connecting window UI as guided below:

https://www.red-gate.com/simple-talk/sql/bi/power-bi-introduction-working-with-parameters-in-power-b...

Please let me know if it works,

or some other details, eg, the "privacy level"  under "data source setting"->"edit permission".

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

redwards59
Frequent Visitor

Sorry - I guess there is a limit to the post length. It cut off most of my message.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors