Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

acerNZ
Helper III
Helper III

Power Query not able to identify the position of new rows

Hi @edhans and @Jimmy801 

This is a follow up question on selecting any row as header. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Selecting-a-row-as-header/m-p/1483575#M46285 

Hey @edhans  and @Jimmy801  When I wanted to take both the solutions to the my actual work file, I get issues as i modified relevant fields so I added another row in the excel sheet 

@Jimmy801  

-- Changed 3 to 4 TableSkip = Table.Skip(Sheet1_Sheet, 4),
Changed to How.. #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"How", type any},

but I get error saying "table how" is not found, but when I revert back to tableskip to 3 and promoted Headers to "East" works like charm

I get same issues with @edhans , When I use " How" as idenfier of my new row and coloumn 1, 

So I tied = 

= List.PositionOf(Sheet1_Sheet[Column1], "How") 

I get -1 not 5 or 6 .. hmm I created a few more rows and tired, same -1, 

Any idea why power BI is not recognizing the new rows added, I can see them when I loaded it. Note: Yes each time I am loading excel afresh and able to see my data in the power BI, just that in the formula, I don't get it right

Any help would be appreciated

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @acerNZ 

if the only problem is now to identify your first row dynamically, as @edhans was suggesting, his solution works fine. The reason why you get -1 is that in your data there is no cell that contains "How", but only "How ". So change this, and the solution will work. However, afterwards you have to launch Promote headers from the GUI in order Power Query does a) promote headers and b) trying to identify the type of every column. But be aware that if you data may change (new column or deleted column) you have to delete this step, because in this step all column headers a hard-coded.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @acerNZ 

The transformations are specific to an expected sheet layout so random data will break them.

In the promotedheader.xlsx file you only have 3 rows at the top of the sheet that need to be removed before promoting headers.

promohead1.png

= Table.Skip(Sheet1_Sheet,3)

But in the promotedheader_test2.xlsx file you have 4 rows that need to be removed befoe promoting headers.  

promohead2.png

= Table.Skip(Sheet1_Sheet,4)

If your source data structure isn't consistent then these transformations will break.

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
acerNZ
Helper III
Helper III

Sorry @PhilipTreacy @Jimmy801  I did stuff like retype, copy same field and thought it was not issue. I tied both the solutions of @Jimmy801 and @edhans .. works like charm

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @acerNZ 

The transformations are specific to an expected sheet layout so random data will break them.

In the promotedheader.xlsx file you only have 3 rows at the top of the sheet that need to be removed before promoting headers.

promohead1.png

= Table.Skip(Sheet1_Sheet,3)

But in the promotedheader_test2.xlsx file you have 4 rows that need to be removed befoe promoting headers.  

promohead2.png

= Table.Skip(Sheet1_Sheet,4)

If your source data structure isn't consistent then these transformations will break.

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @acerNZ 

if the only problem is now to identify your first row dynamically, as @edhans was suggesting, his solution works fine. The reason why you get -1 is that in your data there is no cell that contains "How", but only "How ". So change this, and the solution will work. However, afterwards you have to launch Promote headers from the GUI in order Power Query does a) promote headers and b) trying to identify the type of every column. But be aware that if you data may change (new column or deleted column) you have to delete this step, because in this step all column headers a hard-coded.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

acerNZ
Helper III
Helper III

I thought @edhans solution is based on column identifier and @Jimmy801 is table skip number and column identifier. I am dumb anyways. So I will wait

acerNZ
Helper III
Helper III

Thank you @PhilipTreacy  

Oh my data can be random and 100s of coloumns 🙂 

here is the screenshot 2020-11-10_16h46_15.png

Please can you check if you can verify the file here: https://github.com/acerNZ/PowerBI.git  Thanks a lot

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @acerNZ 

Both solutions by @edhans and @Jimmy801 rely on yor data being in a set format.  That is, there are 3 rows at the top of your Excel file that will discarded leaving the 4th row to be promoted as Headers.

In addition, it is expected that the word in Column 1 is East:

acernz.png

You say you've added another row in the sheet- where?  And that you've modified fields- how so?  A screenshot would be useful.

When you try this

= List.PositionOf(Sheet1_Sheet[Column1], "How") 

and get -1 that indicates the word "How"was not found.  But when you change it back to "East" that does work, so sounds like East is stil the first word in Col1 after removing the top 3 rows.

and if this gives an error

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"How", type any},

then you don't have a column named How.

Please supply a screenshot of your modified worksheet.

Phil

My solution does not rely on the data being in a specific format. It looks for the word East and sets that to the top row. It doesn't remove the top 3 rows by count @PhilipTreacy 

Now, if the word East is no longer in the first column, or anywhere, then my solution fails, but at some point there needs to be some consistency or logic somewhere. It would be some pretty complex M code to find a grid of data in an Excel sheet that:

1. Kept moving around (not in the same column or row) and
  2. The "column headers" of said grid kept changing to where they were never the same on any column you coulld look for

Not sure how that would work, but I don't think that is your issue @acerNZ is it?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi @edhans 

Yes sorry, AcerNZ had said they had 'modified relevant fields' and 'added another row in the excel sheet'.  At that point I had no idea exactly what they had done and was trying to convey that if they removed the word East or added rows above East, they'd get unexpected results because the code was looking for, and expecting, certain certain things to be in the sheet.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors