Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VincenzoChean
Helper I
Helper I

Power Query help

Hi, 

Does anyone know how i can convert this using power query or from excel. 

The header is on the 1st column, it organize in a weekly fashion. 

The spreadsheet was not designed by me. But i need import the data into PBI. 

Screenshot 2022-05-29 114618.png

spreadsheet 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Good, so you add the category-field to the unpivot others step:

// Table1
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Column1] <> null)),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows2", "Week", each if Text.StartsWith([Column1], "Week ") then [Column1] else null),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Week"}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Filled Down", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Promoted Headers", {"Week 1", "Week 1_1", "category"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{{"Attribute", "Date"}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns", each not Text.StartsWith([Week 1], "Week ")),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows", each ([Value] <> "")),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filtered Rows1",{{"Week 1", "Row"}, {"Week 1_1", "Week"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns1",{{"Value", type number}, {"category", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

= Table.Combine(Table.Group(Source,"Column1",{"n",each let a=Table.PromoteHeaders(Table.SelectRows(_,each [Column1]<>null)),b=Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(a,List.RemoveRange(Table.ColumnNames(a),1,7),"Date","x") in Table.RenameColumns(Table.Pivot(b,List.Distinct(Table.ToColumns(b){0}),Table.ColumnNames(b){0},"x"),{{"dates","category"}},1)},0,(x,y)=>Byte.From(Text.StartsWith(y??"","Week ")))[n])

wdx223_Daniel_0-1653886141402.png

KT_Bsmart2gethe
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @VincenzoChean ,

I just realised that you have attached the source file.

See below link for the solution.

Solution 

Regards

KT

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Good, so you add the category-field to the unpivot others step:

// Table1
let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows2", "Week", each if Text.StartsWith([Column1], "Week ") then [Column1] else null),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Filled Down", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Promoted Headers", {"Week 1", "Week 1_1", "category"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{{"Attribute", "Date"}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns", each not Text.StartsWith([Week 1], "Week ")),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filtered Rows1",{{"Week 1", "Row"}, {"Week 1_1", "Week"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns1",{{"Value", type number}, {"category", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @VincenzoChean ,
will there always only be 7 columns with dates or could there be more or less? (This is relevant for how to determine the columns that shall be unpivoted.)
With regards to the m-code, in this video I show how to use code from the internet and paste it into the advanced editor: Dynamically solve parent child hierarchies in Power BI and Power Query - YouTube 

Hi

Yes it will be. Thanks a lot. 

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @VincenzoChean ,
please paste the following code into the advanced editor and follow the steps:

let
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Promoted Headers", {"Week 1", "Week 1_1"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns1",{{"Value", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

File also attached.

Hi 

Thanks for assisting. i forgot there's another column that has to go onto it. 

Can you please assist again ?

Power query help 2 

Secondly, do i have to add to 'Data model' before i can use the power query editor ? 

I tried going into advance editor but there's no data to select. 

Thanks 

Hi @VincenzoChean ,

Below transformation code should be dynamic enough to turn the data into structured data formate:

let

//Get Source
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content],

//Unpivot other column other than the first one (i.e. week1,2, column)

#"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Column1"}, "Attribute", "Value"),

//Add conditional column to get "Week", then fill down

#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Custom", each if Text.StartsWith([Column1],"Week") then [Column1] else null),
#"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom1",{"Custom"}),

//Filter for only the header rows

ColumnTbl = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each Text.StartsWith([Column1],"Week")),

//Filter for all row except header rows

NonColumnTbl = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each not Text.StartsWith([Column1],"Week")),

//Join the main table (the content without header) with header table to get table

#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(NonColumnTbl, {"Custom", "Attribute"}, ColumnTbl, {"Custom", "Attribute"}, "NonColumnTbl", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded NonColumnTbl" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "NonColumnTbl", {"Value"}, {"Date"}),

//Rename header (rename to whatever name you want)

#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded NonColumnTbl",{{"Column1", "Measure / Title"}, {"Custom", "Week Number"}}),

//Remove access columns
#"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Attribute"})

in
#"Removed Columns1"

KT_Bsmart2gethe_1-1653836919706.png

Regards

KT

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors