Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ste_For94
Frequent Visitor

Power Query doesn't work anymore

Hi everyone,

I have developed a data model for several months now, it includes many tables and measures, mainly queried from a SQL server and the rest using excel files in a Sharepoint. The size of the dataset is about 260Mb. I've used and modified this Dataset almost every day with no problems.

Also I've got quite good specs, as follows

Intel core i5 8350U 1.7 GHz

24Gb of RAM 2400MHz

all of a sudden one day I open up my model in power query to edit a few things and: I can't load my queries, none of them. I just get the grey screen with the yellow dots refreshing... and they go on forever... This is also true for very very small tables (about 2k rows) that are just imported from the SQL server with almost no modifications.

I've then tried on my other Datasets, and I get the same problem so it is an overall problem on Power BI Desktop/my PC... the problem is that I didn't change a thing...

Please can you help! I can't work till I fix this!

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

Can you try installing the "other" Power BI Desktop? You have two options in Windows 10, one from the Microsoft Store, and the other from the web download. You can install side by side.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
edhans
Super User
Super User

Typical troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot
  2. Uninstall/reboot/reinstall Power BI
  3. System Restore to before the days before the break
  4. Look for things you've installed recently that could be impacting it.
  5. Look at your AV/anti-malware software..

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

I've tried one and two, but since my pc is managed by my organization, even I'm admin I cant restore to before the problems started... honestly I dont think I've installed anything new, but its likey that new security programs have been installed by my company... actually we even tried removing one but it didn't change anything...

any other ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors