Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query conditional filtering

Hi All,

I'm not an expert of PQ and M language, your help is much appreciated. 

In my dataset I have a data column where I need to filter for the last 3months of data, but if latest available date is: 2021-Dec-06

then I need data covering period: 2021-Sep 1 - 2021-Nov 30

In case data avaialble for the full month for example: latest available date is: 2021-Oct-31 then I will need data covering period: 2021-Aug 1 - 2021-Oct 31

I hope I could explain my problem clearly.

Thanks a lot for your help
Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Please try this instead.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQ31DcyMDJUitWJVjLSN0ZwjPUNTRE8E30kDogJ5cUCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}}),
    Custom1 = let maxdate = List.Max(#"Changed Type"[Date]) in if maxdate = Date.EndOfMonth(maxdate) then maxdate else Date.EndOfMonth(Date.AddMonths(maxdate, -1)),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Date] >= Date.StartOfMonth(Date.AddMonths(Custom1, -2)) and [Date] <= Custom1)
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here's one way to do it in the query editor.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, open the Advanced Editor and replace the text there with the M code below.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQ31DcyMDJUitWJVjLSN0ZwjPUNTRE8E30kDogJ5cUCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t]),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Date] >= Date.StartOfMonth(Date.AddMonths(List.Max(#"Changed Type"[Date]), -3)) and [Date] <= Date.EndOfMonth(Date.AddMonths(List.Max(#"Changed Type"[Date]), -1)))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @mahoneypat 

This code is close what I'm looking for. I tested it, but found only one slight little problem.
When in my data the last date is actually the last date of that month this code as of now will filter it out and will only include it once the date for 2022.01.01 is available.

If there is a way to fix this it would be great, if not it's okay I can wait one more day and once next months date's first date is available I can get previous months full date. 

Test dates:

sztap_3-1639968205180.png

Result of code:

sztap_5-1639968605672.png

As you can see now it's filtering out December completly and one I have 2022.01.01 availble it will add that full month.

Thanks

Please try this instead.

let
    Custom1 = let maxdate = List.Max(#"Changed Type"[Date]) in if maxdate = Date.EndOfMonth(maxdate) then maxdate else Date.EndOfMonth(Date.AddMonths(maxdate, -1)),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Date] >= Date.StartOfMonth(Date.AddMonths(Custom1, -2)) and [Date] <= Custom1)
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Pat

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mahoneypat 
Thanks a lot, you're a genius. This is exactly what I was looking for.

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you just want the last three complete months, then you can use the GUI to filter you date column:

BA_Pete_0-1639726688490.png

In the dialog that opens, enter your quantity (3) and period type (months). This will only retain complete periods.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BA_Pete ,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to tell you that as new data feeds into the table every day this approach wouldn't be dynamic.

I need to check at data refresh what is the last day in my data source and then use the logic I described before.

Thanks

Peter

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors